Chp 28

There was nothing Marco could do about the waiting. Rosa had to be primed to make a statement and have a say in saving her kids. Still, would they hurry it up? Isaias is probably in some kind of mess knowing him.

The clacking of high heels echoed down the hall and Rosa appeared. She was wearing a deep copper dress that wrapped around like a second skin and had mid-thigh slits on the sides. Her hair had been curled and pulled into a simple high ponytail and she wore killer heels strapped to her calves. Her makeup was simple and brought out her chocolate eyes, high cheekbones, and plush lips. Carmelo smiled and walked over to her.

"Now you look the part," he said, taking her hand that had copper nail posh.

She frowned. "I haven't dressed like this since...a long time." Her eyes made contact with Carmelo's in a silent battle of wills. Neither backed down and Marco felt as if he was missing a great deal and as if he was about to interrupt something far greater than a dress style.

"Um I don't mean to be rude but shall we go? You know how Isaias is and the last time I saw him he was being dragged back to his cousin who he humiliated beforehand by escaping his hold," he said, his voice shaking slightly as two intense pairs of eyes stared at him.

Rosa sighed and nodded. "Yes, I do know my son. Let's go," she said placing her arm around Carmelo's and both began walking down the hall. Marco followed them a few steps behind.

"Wait. Marco was it?" asked Rosa.

"Yes?" he answered.

"We have to do something about your blue hair. It's too distinct and those eyes not to mention you can't wear the Guerrero uniform if you come with us," she said tapping a copper fingernail to her lip.

Carmelo stared at Rosa. "What do you suggest?"

She smiled.

Thirty minutes later found Marco sporting short spiked neon red hair and bright blue eyes. The most common style for the middle class. He wore an arachnid uniform and was starting to realize where Isaias got his outspoken nature from. He passed a hand through his hair and sighed. It's true he needed a haircut but he sure as hell didn't need a dye job or a new hairdo. The things I do for him. Will he even recognize me now? Will he like this?

At last, they were ready to meet Bernado. Carmelo made the comm.

"Don Arrio. There are some things I would like to speak about privately and immediately. No this cannot wait. Yes. I shall come to you. Yes, I shall be there soon." He glanced at Rosa then Marco and nodded. "Let's go before he changes his mind."

The drive there was rather long as Carmelo lived on the other side of the island well his base of operations was there. He had a home in Arco Iris which was where they were currently going. Bernado conducted his business in Arco Iris where only the privileged could reach him easily.

"Another failing of his. If his Guerreros needed him for something they'd be humiliated having to wait to be served and the info they hold could be life and death too," said Rosa shaking her head.

"Only lieutenants are allowed to see him in his office," said Marco.

"And if there is war?" asked Carmelo. He always put his fighting force first.

Marco shrugged. "I guess we're screwed?" he said, smirking. "Truth is that while the Guerrero's are a great fighting force, the one who leads us is a lazy egoist that always put himself first and us last. Our quarters aren't the worst but they aren't as good as the arachnids," said Marco

"The Guerreros don't have that unified front, that sense of family within and that is their falling," Said Carmelo as he thought about all the misunderstandings within the Guerreros.