Chp 12

"What cause would two Lows have in Villa Arco Iris so early in the morning," sneered the guard as he ran their thumbprints and information through his palm book. Rosa straightened her shoulders. "We were commed early this morning by our employer. We are to meet with him."

"And your employer would be?"

"Don Rodriguez."

The guard laughed. "You expect me to believe that you two lows work for our Don? The man only hires the best and while you may pass, your daughter is too plain. I'm calling enforcement on you two lawbreakers."

"Lawbreakers! We didn't break any laws," Rosalinda said, crossing her arms.

"It's still curfew for Brownies. Park your car and get out," said the guard.

Zen sighed. "Don Rodriguez is going to be mad that you didn't call him."

The guard scoffed. "Nice try. He's still sleeping. I'm not falling for that one. Get out now!"

Zen scowled and crossed her arms as her mom drove the car to a parking spot.

"Mama I've got to get to Don Rodriguez. Can you make some scandal or something while I get away?" Zen whispered.

"Be careful Zen," Rosa said before they opened their doors and went to the guard. Rosa put on her best mother tone. The one that had Isaias dance to her tune most days, and faced the guard.

"Young man! I will not be treated with such impunity. I am a decent individual and I will not be treated like a child. Where are your manners? You do not treat a woman like this!"

The guard looked startled and began to stutter. "Ma'am. You have broken a rule."

"And how do you know that when you won't even make a comm call to my employee!"

"Ma'am you can't seriously work for a Don!"

"That information is in the scan we gave you! Look through it and do your job!"

The guard grumbled and let his eyes stray from the duo to the palm book in his hand.

Zen smirked and slowly slipped from the guard station using the shadows to cloak her movements. She fled down the street leaving her mom alone with the guard. The guard groaned as the information turned up and indeed both Rosalinda and Zenaida Amargarita worked for Don Rodriguez. He turned to the mother and daughter duo only to stop short.

"Where is your daughter?" He asked.

Rosalinda shrugged. "I'm her mother, not her keeper. She probably got tired of waiting and went on her own."

The guard tapped his ear. "There's a Low with unknown intentions in Arco Iris. Enforcers be on the lookout for the information sent to you by the gate," he said placing the information on Zen and her picture and sending it to every Enforcer.

"She is not here with unknown intentions!" Rosalinda yelled and prayed for her youngest to make it to Carmelo's safely.

Zen ducked behind a trash bin as another Enforcer scouted the street. The amount of Enforcers had increased in the last ten minutes. She sighed and crawled to the garden hedge near the bin. She squatted and kept a close eye on the Enforcer making their rounds around the street. A little farther was another Enforcer. These guys are everywhere! There has to be a way to get through them.

Thinking for a minute, she reached back into the trash bin and plucked a glass bottle. She chucked it onto the side corner of a house.

The enforcers stopped and listened to the noise. They made hand signals and Zen recognized them from what Isaias taught her (We should check that out.)