Trial

"Come in Mr Potter" Dumbledore said, Flitwick and Harry Potter entered his office. "Please take a seat" Both did so "now Mr Potter, I have no doubt that you've been told but in three days there will be a court session to deal with Gilderoy Lockhart..."

"The rapist you hired" Harry couldn't help but point out

"Yes, him" Dumbledore sighed "and shortly after that it will be decided who your guardian is"

"I don't want a guardian" Harry said as he glared at Dumbledore "and you have no right to force one on me"

"Harry, please be reasonable..."

"Reasonable?" Harry interrupted "This coming from the old man who has been making decisions about my life without my consent? I was fine with things as they were, what gave you the right to change it without at least asking me?"

"Mr Potter" Dumbledore began, in truth he wanted to get Harry away from Lestrange but he had a feeling that telling him that wouldn't go over well "I am only doing this for your benefit. It is better to give you a magical guardian before someone realised that you don't have one and a person with less than pure intent tries to gain custody of you. There are plenty of good and loving families that are willing to take you in"

"Yeah well screw them" Harry responded "I'm not changing my life to deal with a bunch of arrogant prats and snotty nosed brats"

"I'm sure you will change your mind in time" Dumbledore said just as Fawkes, his phoenix flames into the room and landed on his perch. Phoenixes were light favouring creatures and he wondered how it would react to Harry, but before he could see he looked towards his open window when he heard the sound of wings and watched as Harry's familiar flew into the room. The two birds eyed each other, almost as if they couldn't decide to fight or leave each other be.

That confused Dumbledore a little, as Fawkes was usually quite clear on if he disliked someone or not. He usually disliked 'evil' or dark people. That made it easy for Dumbledore to learn more about who he was dealing with. But Fawkes wasn't sure, so what did that mean? Was Harry and his familiar light with darkness mixed in? Was Harry still redeemable? Was he slowly becoming less redeemable or was Fawkes just confused about if he should react to Harry or his familiar? Or was Harry's familiar...

"So what you're saying is, what I want doesn't matter, is that right?" Harry asked, glaring at Dumbledore, bringing the old wizard out of his thoughts

"No Harry, that is not what I'm saying" Dumbledore noted that Fawkes was becoming slightly more uncomfortable and appeared to be deciding on the negative in his judgement of Harry Potter

"It certainly sounds like it you colourful jackass!" Harry spat as he got up from his seat and turned to leave, when Fawkes began screeching at him. Harry turned and aimed his wand at Fawkes while Shadow screeched at the fire bird.

"Mr Potter!" Dumbledore thundered as he and Flitwick got to their feet "You will not attack my Phoenix!"

"Then you will control him," Harry snarled at Dumbledore "You know that he's trying to hurt me. He thinks I'm dark and he tried to cause me pain, rather hypocritical for such a light creature and you are once again permitting one of your most trusted to try and harm me! Now shut it up or we see how a phoenix is reborn without a head!"

"Fawkes, stand down" Dumbledore said, while looking thoughtful. Harry didn't appear to be in pain, he just seemed angry, though Dumbledore guessed that was because of a combination of Fawkes trying to hurt him and the fact that he was going to get a guardian against his will. If Fawkes didn't hurt him then that at least meant that Harry wasn't totally evil.

"Stay away from me" Harry growled as he stormed out the office

"I don't know what kind of game you are playing Albus" Flitwick said to Dumbledore "but I don't like it" He walked out the room as well