Ghost

Newt's POV:

I woke up without Minho. He must have gone back to his hammock in the night. I felt. . . I don't know, empty. Like there was nothing left in me. I rolled out of my hammock and fell onto the ground. I didn't feel the pain. I walked out of the homestead, not hearing the other gladers hellos. I went and got food from Frypan, but I couldn't taste it. It was like I wasn't even there anymore. Like I was a ghost.

No way out.

No way out.

Minho's POV:

I woke up and started getting ready. It was just another day. Joy. I walked down to the kitchen and found Newt just kind of sitting there staring off into space. His lips were moving as if he was mouthing words.

"Newt?"

No reaction.

"Newt!"

He flinched and looked up at me

"Oh, hi Min."

Like I had just gotten there.

"Ready to run today?"

Then I remembered. We were splitting up. Newt was taking section eight and I was taking section seven. Shuck, should I let him? I don't know if he'll be alright.

"Yeah, let's head out."

Me and Newt ran together until we got to the cross of eight and seven. We made a deal where about three hours before the doors closed we would meet back up here. Newt turned to me.

"Well, I'll see you later."

I don't know what it was, but something about Newt was off. He didn't look fully there, ya know? I mean, he was physically in front of me, but something was off.

"Newtie, are you sure you'll be okay?"

Newt gave me a very forced smile.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be okay. Like you said, everything will be okay."

Uh huh, sure Newt. He just looked so. . . hopeless. I walked over to him and hugged him.

"Yes, Newt. It will all be okay."

With that, I turned and ran. If I stayed any longer, I wouldn't be able to leave him. As I turned a corner, I saw Newt turn and run off in the opposite direction.