Enough

Newt's POV:

It's been what? Three days since I saw Minho? Yeah that seemed about right. Three days since I saw him. Three days since I heard his voice when it wasn't screaming. Three days of Minho suffering, and me not being able to help. My whole body felt weighed down by the feeling of loneliness.

Minho had always been with me.

Always.

And now. . . he wasn't.

Alby and some of the cooks had brought me food, but I didn't eat. I just left them on the homestead floor next to me. It has also been three days since I've spoken to anyone. When someone brings me food, I ignore them. When someone walks by, I ignore them. When Alby comes and checks in with me each day, I ignore him. In fact, it was that time now, and I heard Alby's footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Hey there Newt!"

I don't reply. Why is he so cheerful? I don't think I even had the strength to speak anymore. Why should I speak, when the person I would die for is screaming in the next room?

I suppose it was a silent protest.

Literally.

Minho had to suffer and scream, so I would suffer and stay silent.

For as long as it took before I could see him again.

See Minho again.

"So, how are you doing?"

Oh my shucking god. How does he think I'm doing? The person I've been closest to just got stung, and I can hear his screams in the next room, but I can't even go to him! What does he want me to say?

Oh yeah, I'm just peachy?

Fat chance. Alby kept going

"I see you have stockpiled quite a bit of food. Are you ever going to eat that?"

I glance at the many full plates of food next to me, and then look back down at the floor. Well, gee Alby! That's a tough question! Here's my answer for you.

Will I ever see Minho again?

Alby kept on going

"The track-hoes were wondering when you're coming back."

Hmmm. Let me think. Maybe when my boyfriend isn't about to die anymore I'll come back. Maybe.

"Well, good talk, as always Newt."

Alby turned and walked back down the stairs. This was basically what happened everyday. I went back to sleep. When I woke up, it took me a second to realize something. There wasn't any more screaming. The door was closed. There was no sound.

Did he die?

I didn't know if that thought was true or not, but just the idea of Minho dying crushed me. I put my knees to my chest, and my head in my hands and started crying once again. I hear more footfalls coming towards me. I didn't have the energy to look up, but I knew who it was. Alby's daily check in. But this time, I was wrong.

Minho's POV:

The pain had stopped. Either that, or I had gone numb. One minute I was screaming, the next everything just stopped. It was so sudden that I took a sharp breath. The med-jack who had been watching me walked over to the bed.

"Why did you stop screaming?"

Because I can you slinthead.

"Because the pain stopped."