The Sun

Minho's POV:

Neither of us wanted to eat dinner that night. So, we didn't. Instead, we went to my keeper room, and lay down in my hammock. We just lay there, enjoying each other's company for the first time in the last couple of days. That was, until Newt asked me a question.

"Minho, what did it feel like?"

"The worst pain I've ever felt."

Newt nodded

"That's what I thought."

With that, Newt snuggled closer, and we fell asleep together. We woke up to the jarring sound of the box siren. I just lay there, confused and groggy. Newt's response was basically the opposite. He bolted upright, only to tip the hammock over, spilling us both onto the hard wooden floor. My response to this was to rub my eyes and sit up, while Newt's response was again, the complete opposite. He bolted upright, and stood at attention, swiveling his head back and forth. The box siren had stopped by now.

"What the bloody hell was that?"

I groaned and got to my feet

"I think that was the box siren. . ."

This just made Newt look more worried

"But, that already happened this month. . ."

I was fully awake now, and grabbed Newt's arm, pulling him out of the room

"Well, I guess it's happening again."

When we got to the box, there was already a large crowd of people, all looking exhausted. Thanks creators, for choosing the one day everyone is sleeping in for sending a new greenie who isn't even supposed to be here. The box hadn't arrived yet, but you could hear the grinding of some hidden mechanics. It will be up soon. Newt forced himself to the front of the crowd, me following. Newt was like the unofficial welcome committee to all the greenies. I looked around at everyone. They all were still in whatever they had slept in, and they all had worried or confused looks on their faces. I glanced over at Newt. Shuck, was that a mistake. He was still in the oversized shirt he slept in, that the creators sent by accident. He was wearing his normal pants. His face was a mix of curiosity and concern. His hair is messed up, and extra fluffy from sleeping. I could have been content to just look at Newt for ever, if Thomas hadn't come over to me and started rambling questions.

"Are you okay? What's happening? What was that noise? What is everyone looking at?"

I stammered, unsure how to start

"I, I, well-"

Luckily Newt saved me

"Ah, slim it Tommy."

I looked back at Newt, and made eye contact, silently thanking him. Newt smiled, and looked back at where the box would come. I didn't look where everyone else looked though. I looked at Newt. His face was slightly tilted to the side as if he were deep in thought. He probably was. He brought up a hand, and ran it through his hair. Then I was interrupted again, but this time not by Thomas. This time by the clank of the box, that meant it had arrived.

Newt's POV:

It was always the same with the box. You could tell someone was in there, but they were almost always in a shadow. I jumped down into the box, and walked over to the figure. As I got closer, the shadow receded. Once I got closer, and saw the figure, I almost gasped. It wasn't another boy, like always.

It was a girl.

But, something was wrong. She wasn't moving.

She had something in her hand. I reached for it, still in a daze.