Escape

Minho's POV:

The shute leads to a slide. A very, very windy slide. I hear shouts from the others, some of surprise, some of fright, and I even heard a few of joy. The slide feels like it goes on forever, and right before I can't take it anymore, it ends. It dumps us out into a room. I landed on my back, and stood up.

The room was white, to white. So white, it seemed unclean.

There were glass walls, and people sitting behind them. Watching us. Just staring at us. The creators. That's when I lost it. I stepped forward and just started screaming

"You-You shuck faces! You, I just can't even! How could you do this?"

The people behind the walls, the creators I guess, are unflinching.I think I would have kept screaming, if Newt hadn't grabbed my arm and pulled me back. His hand wrapped around my arm, and he pulled me back, trying to reassure me

"Minho, that won't help, c'mon."

I allowed myself to be dragged back, all the while glaring at the creators. For a few minutes, nothing happened. After a while, I couldn't stand it. Thomas, Teresa, Chuck, and Newt were huddled up, whispering furiously. I walked over to them, and they parted slightly, allowing me to join their discussion. Teresa looked slightly concerned, Thomas looked determined, Chuck looked scared, and Newt just looked stunned. I don't blame him, I mean, Alby just died, we found a secret passage, and now this.

Just all this.

Teresa was trying to reassure everyone else

"Guys, it's probably fine. . ."

Thomas nodded, eager to agree with Teresa

"Yeah, Teresa's probably right."

Newt rolled his eyes

"Sure, 'cause when you're trapped in a bloody maze for a few years, it really makes you trust the people who put you there."

Time to step in.

"Newt, how do we know these are the people who put us there?"

Newt was getting angry. I could tell

"Well, who else would they shucking be? I'm waiting."

Thomas put a hand on Newt's shoulder

"Maybe they changed their minds?"

Oh, no you don't Thomas. I had always been. . . jealous, you could say. Same thing happened when Thomas first arrived. And, now, I was just extra triggered, because of the shucking situation we were all in. I casually moved Thomas's hand off of Newt's shoulders.

"Sure, maybe, Thomas."

I made sure to put all the attitude I could into his name, which, by the way, is a lot of attitude. Chuck put his hands up

"Can you please stop fighting? It doesn't matter who they are, or what they're gonna do, what matters is that we made it!"

I nodded and walked over to Newt putting my arms around his waist, allowing him to rest his head on my shoulder

"Baby, it'll be okay."

I felt Newt relax in my arms.

"Yeah, yeah alright."

Just then, I heard a slam, and jumped-spun around to see an unseen door had been flown open. Wonder why it was unseen?

It was solid white like everything else, and had no idea from the side we stood.

Gally came into the room, followed by two guards.

What the shuck?

Gally was alive?

Maybe it was this stunning fact that was the reason why I didn't notice that Galley was holding a knife. The guards motioned at Gally, and his hand with the knife came up. It trembled, and it looked like he was trying to hold it down, but wasn't succeeding. The world seemed to slow as the knife left his hand. As the knife flipped through the air towards Thomas. As Chuck jumped in front of Thomas. As the knife soared towards Chuck.

Back to normal speed, except now it seemed too fast.

The knife hit Chuck right in the chest. I heard Chuck's intake of breath as he stumbled backwards from the force. I heard Thomas's choked sob as he lowered Chuck to the ground. I heard Newt's gasp as he clutched a hand to his mouth, and I knew he was trying not to break down. When I saw Chuck's eyes close, I felt a different sense of pain. It wasn't like when Alby had been taken. It wasn't sharp, and hurting, it was more like a dull ache. I knew something irreplaceable had been lost.

He thought he had made it. . . but he didn't.

People were streaming into the room now. Different people, not the workers here. They were in fact, shooting the workers. They grabbed me by the shoulder and started dragging me out, down a hallway, and outside. On the way, I saw a sign

WICKED

World In Catastrophe : Killzone Experiment Department

So that's what they were called. We were thrown onto a bus, and told we would be going somewhere safe. Me and Newt sat together, Newt having the window seat. He had been leaning on his elbow this whole time, staring vacantly out into nothing. After about a half hour, he turned to me, and I realized with hurt shock, that he had been silently crying.

"Minho, why do we say it?"

Newt's expression wasn't exactly sad. More like acceptance

"Say what?"

"Th-That it'll be okay."

A fresh wave of tears had started streaming down Newt's face. He kept going

"That's what I told Alby. He died. That's what I told Chuck. He died. That's what you told me. I tried to die."

I didn't think, I just wrapped my arms around Newt, and didn't let go. I uttered words that I didn't even think about before saying

"It'll be okay."

Newt gave me a bittersweet smile

"Somehow, I knew you would say that."

My heart did something then. It didn't break, it felt different. I think it was mending. Mending, after what happened. That was what broke me this time. How did I still have things left to break?