Tired

Minho's POV:

I just. . .

I want to start over.

Before this.

Before the scorch.

Even before the maze.

Then maybe we could have been happy.

Thomas and Brenda had gone back to their houses, which were luckily next to ours, and I was coming back from getting medicine.

I had one hopeful thought in my head.

Well, it can't get any worse.

Almost the instant I thought that, Thomas came bolting up the path, looking absolutely terrified. I had almost never seen him like this.

I jinxed it. Good job Minho.

Thomas stopped for only a second to explain, before he grabbed my arm

"I-It's Newt."

I felt my heart rise into my throat.

"Wh-What?"

Thomas just pulled me along, running at full speed.

The moment I rounded the corner to the beach, I saw a crowd of people. Thomas pushed through it, pulling me with him.

I saw a blond boy, laying there, unconscious, soaking wet.

It was Newt.

I swear, my heart stopped, before speeding up double time. Aris was next to him, and I immediately dropped down, grasping one of Newt's hands. I looked at Aris through the blur of tears.

"Wh-What happened?"

Aris looked flat out scared

"I-I was coming out of my h-house to get lunch, a-and I saw him. He was l-lying in the shallow water. His head was underwater. I p-pulled him out, b-but I don't know if it's too late or not. . ."

I just let the tears come.

I waited with him for one minute.

Five minutes.

Ten.

Everyone else had left, except for Clint and Jeff, who were sitting on the other side of me, waiting. They exchanged a sad look, before standing up. I immediately stood up to, ready to scream at them

"Where are you going?"

They exchanged another look before Jeff spoke

"I-I'm sorry Minho, but I think it's too late."

"N-No! Please!"

They just shook their heads. I choked back a sob as I collapsed, once again, next to Newt. I heard the scrunch of sand as they started to leave. I grasped Newt's hand as tight as I could. A sob racked my body.

I closed my eyes, trying to shut it all out. I needed Newt.

I heard a sudden gasp, and my eyes flew open, and I saw Newt, sitting up, heaving for breath. I just stared for a second, tears still flowing down my cheeks.

"Clint! J-Jeff! Come back!"

I heard them gasp, then the hurried footsteps.

I was hugging Newt now. I would never let him go.

Never.

Clint gently pulled me off him, as they looked at him.

Newt was coughing now, struggling for each breath.