New House

Newt's POV:

The whole rest of the day we were bombarded by questions about our house, if we were going to have one together, and if we were where it would be. Brenda, Thomas, Aris, and Frypan's houses would all be done early in the morning. They also had beach houses.

We would be neighbors.

We all slept together in a circle again.

I only slept for a couple hours before I woke up. I had the dream again. The one with Alby, Chuck, the other gladers, and this time Teresa too. I couldn't bear the silence, just laying there with my thoughts. I got up, and walked over to the supply boxes, more for something to do than anything. The day before Harreit had started sorting them into food, tools, clothes, and other items. I figured I would finish the job. I started, and soon my movements were automatic. Nothing new, just more clothes, food, and tools.

Until I felt the cool metal.

My hand withdrew on instinct.

I glanced down, and saw something that I thought I would never see.

A gun.

A image bursts through my other thoughts

A man falling his knees

A woman falling over

A young blond haired girl, no more than four, crying.

Who were they?

More memories followed. Each bursting through like a mini explosion.

Images of people.

Of guards.

Of a white room.

Each memory came faster and faster. I didn't know what to think of them. I wanted the memories to stop. I didn't want to see the life I could never live. White lights were flashing in front of my eyes. I felt unsteady. Loud, hollow, noise filled my ears. The cool air around me felt suffocating, and the ground felt like it had disappeared.

I couldn't take it anymore.

I crumpled into a ball, pressing my hands against my eyes, my ears, my face.

After what felt like forever the world stilled and quieted. I sat up slowly, and looked around. The sun was starting to peek over the horizon. The others would be up soon. I glanced at the gun, before picking it up. I walked a couple feet and buried it under the clothes pile, before heading back to the circle. I lay back down next to Minho. I closed my eyes, but never went to sleep. I don't know if I ever would again.

Not after that.

Just add a few more people I might have known dead.

Minho's POV:

I woke up as the birds started chirping.

Birds.

There were birds here.

I smiled as I remembered that was the last night we would have to sleep outside. I sat up, and realized Brenda wasn't with us. As if that thought summoned her, I saw her running towards us. She shouted to us

"You guys!"

Aris, Frypan, Newt, and Thomas had still been asleep, and they all bolted up, looking around. Brenda rolled her eyes before continuing

"The exploration team found a building!"

I rubbed my eyes and muttered

"Exploration team?"

Brenda sighed

"You and Newt were at the builders when Harriet organized it. It's a group of people we sent out to explore the island."