4 - I really can't be bothered acting nice

Gou Dzing and Chan Bik chattered amicably the whole way to her family's house. Sek Gon plodded beside them, praying for earplugs, but unable to escape as Gou Dzing had his arm firmly around him.

"Get off. You're heavy."

"Ah, don't be so miserable, Sir Sek. It's a lovely day and you're in the company of friends!"

Who's your friend?

They crossed a rice paddy where a troop of farmers were tending to the crops, and then the Chan Family house was before them, a relatively modest villa complex with several buildings and a large courtyard. Before they could enter the gate, a man walked out.

"Ah Bik?"

"Go-go!"

"... What... Who... Why are you all dressed like that?"

Gou Dzing and Chan Bik looked at each other. Sek Gon raised his eyes to the sky.

Three people all dressed in similar cultivator robes, hair tied in ponytails, with unusual jade-hilted swords.

"Oh... uh... this... um..."

Gou Dzing stepped forward energetically and bowed. "Greeting Young Lord Chan! My humble name is Gou Dzing. I am a cultivator of the Mount Fa Sect. We invited Fourth Lady Chan to experience a day as a disciple of our sect, hence her current attire."

Looking a little stunned, Chan Bik's elder brother bowed back. "A member of the Gou Family? I am Chan Gam, Ah Bik's eldest brother. And this is..."

"Sek Gon." The named one bowed too.

"As in...?"

The name was explained.

"... Ah."

"Go-go, how is... how is Mother?"

"No idea! In any case, Sir Gou, Sir... Sek, you are both welcome to stay for dinner. Thank you for entertaining my little sister."

"Hey! It's not like that!"

"Alright, alright. Go and get changed and greet the rest of the family. I'll have someone take our guests to the dining hall."

Grumbling, Chan Bik disappeared to do as her brother had asked. A servant led Sek Gon and Gou Dzing into a dining area, where other servants were tidying and preparing for the meal.

Gou Dzing had seated himself comfortably when he noticed that Sek Gon was still standing. "What are you doing, Sir Sek? Come and sit down here."

Sek Gon sat where he was told with a strange hint of relief on his face. Before Gou Dzing could remark on this, Chan Bik burst into the room, dressed in a pretty, deep pink robes and with her hair dressed neatly.

"Don't sit down yet! Come out to the courtyard first, before everyone else arrives!"

Gou Dzing immediately stood and followed. Moments later, he returned to haul Sek Gon to his feet. "Come on, Sir Sek."

"I just sat down though."

"You can sit again later."

"Why are you like this?" Chan Bik sighed, when they finally joined her. She lowered her voice. "Listen, I've got to tell you a little more about the family before dinner. Aside from my two elder brothers, their wives are here too. Gam Go also has a little daughter.

"My elder sister is currently away visiting her fiancé's family. She left soon after the start of the mouse plague. She's delicate, so we all agreed it would be best, and anyway, she'll be moving into their house once she's married."