Extra - Lunar New Year Story

A/N: Hey readers :) Apologies for missing this Friday's chapter. Things have been... a little difficult recently, so my posting may be a bit spotty for a while.

Please enjoy this short story in celebration of the lunar new year. It features characters from all across the Tales of the Jade Road, although I've tried my best to make it readable for everyone, whether or not you've read all the stories. Of course, you'll have more context if you've read them all, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Xin nian kuai le! Gung hei faat choi!

***

Eitsu woke early that morning, unusually so.

Tsubaki was usually awake earlier than her, but the woman was still asleep beside her. Eitsu pecked her softly on the cheek and left through the window to climb onto the roof. Usually she would try being a bit more cheeky with Tsubaki, but for some reason, today she just wanted to sit on the the roof alone and enjoy the way that the inky sky of night faded to the blush pink of dawn.

Although, she couldn't help thinking that this pink was the colour of certain parts of Tsubaki's lovely form...

A movement caught her attention. It seemed she wasn't the only one awake early; looking out across the peaceful rooftops of the Yuan Wei Temple, she spotted a lanky young man in scholar's robes striding quietly but purposefully along the temple's paths.

"Hey, flower boy. What're you doing?"

The young man clutched his chest to stop his heart from physically leaping out. In the space of a breath, Eitsu had crossed the temple roofs and popped out in front of him, hanging upside down off a gate lintel.

"Lady Eitsu!" His voice came out as a hysterical whisper. "Are you a cat or a monkey?"

"What a silly question. You know what I am." Eitsu dropped, transforming mid-fall into a small black cat. She landed in a heap of clothing that now no longer fit her. "Why are you sneaking around, Mr Strategist?"

"I've got work to do," he replied, recovering his dignity as he tidied his clothes. "Unlike some."

Eitsu grinned, showing sharp canines. The pupils of her golden eyes narrowed to stringlike slits. "Cheng Guk Lung."

"Your pronunciation has improve-"

"Cheng. Guk. Lung."

"... Yes, Lady Eitsu."

"Are you sure you want to be so rude to me?"

"Probably not, Your Divine Majesty."

"Oh, that's a new one." Without a blush, she transformed back into human form. Cheng Guk Lung abruptly turned away as Eitsu nonchalantly put her clothes back on.

"I'm not sure it suits me."

"What would you prefer, Lady Eitsu?"

She was about to respond as she tightened her waist sash when something about Cheng Guk Lung's demeanour distracted her. "What's wrong, scholar? In a hurry to get somewhere? Am I holding you up?"

"I did say I was busy, Lady Eitsu. But if you really wish to play, I suppose I can supervise you for a while."

"You've got a really nasty tongue, you know?"

"Thank you."

"A pity you don't put it to other uses."

"Should I mention what you've just said to Lady Tsubaki?"

Eitsu laughed, truly amused. "Go on, get going."

"Lady." With a low bow, Cheng Guk Lung left, slipping into the darkness of early dawn.