8 - The Face-Slapping Chapter

CW: abusive behaviour

***

The earth turned, and the Chan Family home once more faced the sun on a fittingly beautiful morning. As if the Heavens knew that the Chan Family's troubles were over, a pink dawn melted softly into limpid blue sky as small shrikes flitted through the trees of the courtyard, singing.

A small, fresh breeze blew through the courtyard and outdoor corridors of the house, in through the open window of the room where Sek Gon was staying. He appraised the glorious day outside with a single sound -

"... hmph."

- and then shut the window, before gloomily returning to rubbing a textured string across his chin and upper lip, removing the tiny strands of hair that clung embarrassingly there.

"Do you even have anything to remove?" Chan Bik asked bitingly by way of greeting, as she entered the room. Seeing she had stabbed Sek Gon exactly where it hurt and that he was now metaphorically bleeding out on the floor, she sighed and bit her nails nervously. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so nasty. Things just fall out without me thinking."

She shot a hard look at Sek Gon, who had somewhat recovered and was peeling himself off the ground. "Although you're not exactly the most polite yourself."

It was unlikely that Sek Gon would have deigned this observation with a response, but the opportunity was taken away from him anyway. At this point, Gou Dzing came bounding into the room as if he were the puppy of a temple-dog, a si dzi, rather than a handsome young man. "I got a message this morning!"

"Congratulations." Sek Gon clapped.

"My Master is going into seclusion training," Gou Dzing continued, as if no one had spoken. "I need to go – well, I want to see her before she does. And..." Suddenly, he rounded on Sek Gon, knelt on the floor and desperately clutched the other man's robes. "You'll really come to Mount Fa, right? Right, Sir Sek? You'll come and see me?"

Sek Gon gaped at the Jade Exorcist, pawing at his clothing. "Yes! Yes! Let go of me!"

"Excellent!" Gou Dzing bounded upright, a big grin on his face. Sek Gon clutched his heart. Was this guy a used cart salesman? How could he change his attitude so quickly?

"I'm going to go ahead. Please take your time following... Actually, Lady Bik..." Gou Dzing turned to the young woman. "Make sure he doesn't take too much time."

"I'll make sure. I want to get to Mount Fa and find a Master as soon as possible. Although... I would like to spend just... a little time... with my father."

"Of course."

Gou Dzing prepared to leave immediately. The Chan Family gathered to farewell him, gratefully bowing and offering him supplies and transportation to assist on his return to the sect. He accepted some food, but turned down the transportation.

"It'll be faster if I run," he explained cheerfully.

"Of course! The Jade Exorcist is highly skilled!"

"Thank you again, Great Master Gou, for returning Father to us."

"How did work out who he was?"

"We're so grateful you're looking out for Ah Bik!"

"Please take some more food."

Gou Dzing smiled. "Really, it was Sir Sek who did most of the work. You all saw that he killed the Rat King Demon in the end."

As one, the Chan Family sneaked a glance in the direction of the room where Sek Gon was staying. He hadn't come out to say goodbye to Gou Dzing. Instead, he was once more sitting dramatically on a windowsill, gazing into nothing while his hair blew about interestingly. His expression was completely apathetic.