41 - Why'd you have to go and open your mouth?

A/N: Once again, I'm behind on my chapters. -_-

Well, here it is.

*

CW: A little bit of blood.

***

Gou Dzing stepped back.

Gaam Yuk Ying stepped forwards.

With a flick of Lo Fu Ngaa, he chopped the spear of the Cheon commander in two, then smacked two of the other soldiers on the top of their heads with the flat of Yiu Tsing before they could even blink

Fists formed of earth and rock erupted past him, slamming into three more soldiers and launching them backwards.

The remaining soldiers looked uncertainly to the Gou Patriarch, to find he was watching everything with an expression of conflicted pride. He turned to the soldiers with a sigh. "Pick up the injured and retreat. These two are the Jade Exorcist and Eye of the Hawk. They've broken through to their Third Daan-tin. None of you are a match for them."

"Eye of the Hawk," Gou Dzing repeated with a weak laugh. "That's nicer than Hawk-eyed Devil."

"You think they'll just let us go like that?" The Cheon commander scrambled backwards on the ground, not taking her eyes off the two cultivators before her.

"They will," the Gou Patriarch said, sadly. He breathed deep, then said to Gou Dzing, "If you change your mind, I'll advocate for you to the army command."

Without waiting for a response, he flicked his sleeves and walked away. The remainder of the troop hesitantly, but with increasing confidence, picked themselves up and retreated. Gaam Yuk Ying and Gou Dzing watched them leave.

"Go back," Gaam Yuk Ying said, as soon as they were out of earshot.

Gou Dzing opened his mouth to argue, but instead, he said, "I'll build you some walls."

As he began to raise structures of earth, Gaam Yuk Ying sheathed his two blades. He watched Gou Dzing work, silently.

"Is that normal?"

"Is what normal?"

"Your grandfather. He didn't... try very hard. To stop you."

Gou Dzing stopped what he was doing. "Gung-gung has a very strong moral code. He is loyal to his country, and to his family. But his family also has to be loyal to the country." He scoffed. "I don't know what I expected really. I hoped-"

"That he would hit you?"

"What?"

"That's what my father did, when I tried to leave."

Gou Dzing walked back and placed his hands firmly on Gaam Yuk Ying's shoulders. "No, Yuk Ying. That wasn't right either. There needs to be a conversation. Each party needs to try and understand either other first, at least. Gung-gung wouldn't listen to me... Your father didn't listen to you. How old were you?"

The other man shrugged. "Young."

Gou Dzing's hands slid down until they were holding Gaam Yuk Ying's. He squeezed them gently.

"Are you okay?"

"Me? I'm fine. This is to be expected, really..." Oddly, something seemed to be caught in his throat. He tried to cough it away, but it remained there, stubbornly. "I... I should have expected it, Yuk Ying. So... So why...?"

When Gaam Yuk Ying gently kissed his cheek, he realised it was wet. They stood together for a long time, Gaam Yuk Ying holding Gou Dzing up as he tried to calm himself. The soothing feeling of a hand stroking his back eventually provoked a sigh. "Thanks, Ying. I should hurry back to Ming Yuet and brief everyone. It smells like it's going to rain."