🔥19

DEE

The ringleader comes to fetch me early in the morning. Vadnar hesitates to let me go, but I insist I want to meet the women and establish their trust. He relents and threatens our keeper to return me unharmed.

I give him a reassuring smile as I walk away, feeling somewhat guilty for withholding my other plans.

"We meet the coordinator first," the ringleader says once we exit the cells.

"Who?"

"He organizes the arena events. He's a royal. Now keep walking and shut up."

A royal? I knew the monarchy doesn't care to save the gladiators from slavery, but I can't believe they're participating in their torture.

I follow the ringleader to the arena, the black sand seeping into my sandals. There, I see a male wearing a pure white robe and a drop forehead gold chain. It's shaped like a wishbone; a crown.

"Here she is!" Says the ringleader.

The coordinator looks up from his parchment, his eyes sparking with interest. "She is hideous!" He grins. "Good. Where did you find her?"

"With a master. Don't know much about her."

"It's of no consequence. She's here now, and she will certainly be put on display. I must work out the price of admission. Bring her to me tomorrow." He returns his eyes to his parchment, dismissing us.

"Can I meet the women now?" I ask the ringleader as he leads me away. "And you agreed to get me a private room with—"

"Yes, yes, you greedy animal. I know what I agreed to. You can meet the whores now," he huffs.

He leads me to the women. There are only three in the room. All beautiful and dressed in fine gowns. They scowl at me, and I find no courage to introduce myself. I just stand by the door, waiting to be taken out of my misery.

They don't start a conversation, and it's clear I'm unwelcome here.

Defeated, I follow the ringleader back to my cell.

— —

Vadnar knows something is up with me. As we approach the room that the ringleader prepared for us, he glances at me. The guards get uneasy, suspecting that he's plotting something.

For now, he'll believe my lie that the meeting with the entertainers didn't go well. He has no idea about the humiliation I endured on the arena. I won't tell him, either.

We all need to have our secrets, especially if they're for survival. Vadnar has proven himself to have a short circuit, and I don't want to find out what will happen when he realizes that I was paraded like a freak.

We're led to two tall, wooden doors. Excitement sparks in me. Vadnar has no idea what I'm planning to do, and there's something thrilling about the power that gives me. After endless days in this infernal prison, I finally have some control.

One guard opens the door, revealing a room with a bed, bathtub, and a single wooden chair. It's simple, but much better than our cell.

Vadnar looks around as he enters. He suspects nothing yet, convinced he was given this special room for his performance in the arena.

One guard removes his restraints as another holds a weapon steady, ready to attack. The door is shut and locked behind us, and we're finally alone.

There's no need to drape a blanket over the cells this time. The stone walls will conceal the sins that will stain them.

I feel my face heat, and I fan myself with my hand as I look around. I'm so anxious I don't know how I'll find the strength to make the first move.

"You are hot?" Says Vadnar. "You should have let the tub water cool off."