26

VADNAR

I can't stop licking my lips. Dee tastes fucking delicious, even when accompanied by the taste of the ocean. I take deep breaths, escaping death. But even death would have been worth it.

Her body tenses right after she winds down from her orgasm. I grin, because my skittish little human has returned to her senses and realized what she did when she was perched on my face. She moaned loud enough for her ancestors to hear as she grinded on me. Dee, who prioritizes order and control, completely lost herself when she was in my arms. Utter chaos. And it was beautiful.

I rub her arms, trying to release the tension. "Relax," I tell her, my lips curved although I doubt she can see much of my expression in this darkness.

"Yeah," she laughs shakily.

"It is unlikely that anyone saw anything. It's too dark from the beach. Let's get you into dry fur." I tread the water with her on my back, leaving her standing on the beach as I make quick work of finding a fur. I use one of the only blankets we have, but I can't leave Dee in wet clothes. I would lose my mind if she got sick because of my greed.

I return quickly and find her shivering. I cover her body as I slip her wet dress off her shoulders and tie the blanket at her shoulder and sides. Then, I slip into my old clothes.

"Very fashionable," I smirk at her dress. "Vaine won't be able to keep his hands off you."

"Hah," she says. "That's if you don't hurt him first."

I don't think I could ever hurt that annoying, spirited male. He is like a younger brother. Not audacious and desperate like Ranrok is.

"Something tells me Vaine can hold his own," I joke.

"This big hands of his weren't made to brush through hair, but pound faces in."

She sighs. "He is innocent. He had no business being locked in the colosseum. None of these guys did. They're good people. Even Hull, who scared me, didn't deserve that."

I grunt, remembering how he snatched and terrorized her. I've been tested by many males lately. It's taking everything in me to not empty them of their organs. But I persevere because of Dee.

We join the others under a giant tree. Its branches grow downwards like an umbrella that cocoons us. Dee lays next to me, chatting with Vaine while the other men sharpen their spears.

The scent of smoke and fish is in the air. And the comforting warmth of the fire surrounds us. The sound of its crackling keeps me alert. I'm paranoid that a foot will step on a branch as an enemy lurks nearby.

Hull sees my frantic eyes as I look for danger. Ranrok and another are patrolling, but it doesn't feel like enough security. I have all this weight on my shoulders to keep Dee safe. To keep her smiling with her newfound friend.

Once she's asleep and Hull and Ranrok return from their patrol, I take the next watch by myself, wanting to ensure the men get as much rest as possible. I give Dee a final glance, and remind the men to watch over her before I walk away.

I'm antsy as I patrol, but at least I'm walking freely through nature. That is better than being locked in a cell.

I detest being away from Dee, but work must be done. For hours, I walk a semi-circle around the camp, the ocean protecting them from the other side.

I only rest for a few hours as another gladiator patrols. When the sun rises, we eat berries and fish and pack up. Luck has been on our side. There is enough game for us hunt, the weather has been clear, and the beasts tame. Dee has been distracted trying to learn survival skills. I notice she pulls at the bandana on her wrist whenever she's deep in thought. I'm not sure what's so special about it, but I never cared about women's attire.

That evening, as we sit on the beach to take a break, Hull approaches me with a grim expression. I stand from where I'm sitting and follow him until we're out of ear shot.

"I found a farm full of males," he says. "And based on the chains and fencing, this is a slavery farm. I counted about twenty Masters."

I grit my teeth. Masters have not only been captured for entertainment at colosseums, but for slave labor. We are tortured across the planet.

Hull crosses his arms over his chest, glaring at the ocean as he ask, "are we going to leave them? We don't have the numbers to overrun the place."

I can't abandon them. Not after being enslaved myself.

"We will plan with the others, but I'm taking that cursed farm down. Those men will be free."

"And the girl?" He asks. "You can't protect her and attack the farm at the same time."

Yes. This will be an ongoing dilemma, because I don't want Dee anywhere near the violence. Until I have a fortress and enough followers, she will be in danger.

I could ask her to decide what we should do, but I know her mind nearly as well as I know her body. She is selfless and would want to save the men.

"She will be fine," I answer Hull. There is no other option.

"I never got to..." he runs a hand over his head, sighing in frustration. "To apologize for mistreating her."

I shrug a shoulder. "She is the one you must apologize to, not me. I will never forgive your slight, so save your breath."

I walk away to approach the group, not feeling an ounce of guilt for my harsh words. It's reality. I am here to survive beside Hull, not befriend him.

"We must change our trajectory," I tell the group, halting all conversations. They turn to me, looking alarmed.

"We haven't been discovered yet, but there's a farm up ahead packed with enslaved masters and guards. I want to free them."

The men quickly chime in with their agreement. Even Dee nods her head.

I focus on her. "I need you to hide until it's all over. Someone will guard you."

She purses her lips, but doesn't disagree. I'm glad. She's strong in many ways, but I can't have her barging into a battlefield. She's not prepared for battle.

"I don't think we're ready to attack the camp," says Ranrok. "It will be too risky to have the female nearby."

Heat flashes in my veins like it usually does when this male reminds me of his existence. "It is my job to take care of Dee. Do not worry for her."

"Like you have been doing such a great job at that," he replies.

I grit my teeth as I reply, "speak clearly. I have no interest in your nonsense riddles."

He looks at Dee, who's clutching her knee in worry.

"You haven't noticed her wrist, Vadnar? Aren't you supposed to be a vigilant leader? She's hurting herself. Cutting her skin out of stress. So tell me, how well have you truly been taking care of her?"

My wide, burning eyes flicker to her wrist. So that's what the fucking bandana is about! She is hiding her cuts!