29 & 30

DEE

We pack up camp and get the hell out of there. Vadnar and I ride on one of the beasts, and the elder masters take the others.

We had to take a beast down because it had a broken leg. The sounds of its struggles made me shudder as the reality of the situation clawed at me.

Vadnar's thighs encase mine, and his arms are wrapped around me as they grip onto the reigns. He makes me feel safe, warm and secure. Protected from the leering eyes of the new masters that joined the group.

It will take a lot of work for the men to get accustomed to me, and for me to feel safe among them. They are victims, but they are strangers.

Vaine walks beside us to make me feel safe—bless his heart. Ranrok walks on our right.

We travel into the sunrise and stay on the beach until we spot a town up a hill. The guys suspect it's been abandoned; damaged by the latest great storm. There's nothing there but collapsed homes but it'll be a good hiding spot and give an aerial view of what's below.

Vadnar commands the men and barely checked in on me, which I found odd but ignored. He must have a lot on his mind.

We climb the hill and set our bags in a small wooden shed—one of the few that hasn't collapsed. The others search for food and materials while a smaller group hunts.

Vadnar sits on the floor, wiping his face with a wet washcloth.

"How do you feel? I ask, sitting beside him with my knees pulled up to my chest.

My feet are all scratched up from where my sandals provided no coverage. I did my best to wash up in the ocean, but my skin still crawls with discomfort and my makeshift dress is a cough away from falling apart. But my belly is food with the fish I ate this morning, and I'm safe. I have to be grated for that, especially while not knowing what Trey's situation is.

I block those thoughts before the guilt of leaving him behind kills me.

"I am well. The mission was a success and I was not injured."

He rests a hand on my thigh. "Did Vaine take care of you while I was gone?"

"Yes. And talked my ear off to try and keep me distracted."

Vadnar grunts. "He was supposed to stay quiet."

"Vaine? Sit in silence? You might as well ask for the colosseum to collapse on itself," I joke.

His grip on my thigh tightens. "Come here."

His gruff, dark command shoots heat down my belly. I feel my underwear get soaked.

And the way he looks at me... with those narrowed eyes and ruffled hair. That wine-colored skin that's so different from mine but so perfect. Those pursed lips that just recently unwrapped my folds in the ocean and made me orgasm so hard I fell deeper in love with him.

We could do this now. The shed's door is closed—unlocked, but no one would dare enter without knocking.

Vadnar decides for me. He snatches me tight against his side and kisses me with a passion I've never seen before. His free hand kneads my thigh, rising to my sex as his lips devour mine.

This is... unexpected, fierce. This... feels different.

I pull away, turning my face away. "Stop," I pant. "Something is wrong."

A sound rips from the back of his throat— anger and irritation. He stands up, and I follow him.

"What's going on?" I ask, dizzy from the lust and confusion swirling in me.