34

DEE

Cherry and I have found a few mistakes in our calculations and have made great progress. We're on track to having our project completed and meeting the deadline.

I've been recovering slowly. That became apparent tonight, as I washed Vadnar's back, (because according to him, it was his turn). Washing his back was hell, because I hadn't rubbed those muscles in months.

I suffered as he did yesterday as I slid my hands against his slick back. He didn't notice my lust as he rambled about how magical the shower is, even asking me if we could take the plumbing with us to Zolan.

This whole "taking things slow" business is getting painful.

I keep an eye on Ranrok, who sits on the same end of his couch every day, frowning and bouncing his knee. I feel for him. He must be bored and torn between staying and leaving Earth. Cherry keeps her distance from him because she thinks he's a seven foot ticking time bomb. But I know better. He's not dangerous. He just craves the open air.

I can't offer him much company, because I don't want to risk pissing Vadnar off. It's hard enough that they're forced to live in small quarters, without any jobs to do.

I hope they'll enjoy the drive around the city, although it's a risky and stupid move.

I finish work a bit early and join Vadnar in bed. His chest is more comfortable than the mattress, wide and warm. I hum a song I heard an entertainer sing once. I forgot the lyrics, but it was about the sun bringing peace to a flower that lost its petals.

I can relate to the song. I've lost my petals after all the heartache and stress I've lived this year, but Vadnar is my sun that makes it all better.

I fall asleep with a smile on my face, feeling safe in my lover's arms. But then, a few hours later, I have to roll out of bed and stress again. The calculations for the portal must be perfect. I can't risk having the it glitch again and getting us all killed or teleported to the wrong side of the planet.

Cherry and I work hard as the boys remain in the living room, ducked behind the couch and glaring at the television. We finally turned it on for them after strict instructions to not break it.

Now they're crouched together, suspicious about the cartoons on the screen.

Cherry and I boil potatoes for lunch—something quick and easy, since we don't have time to waste. I told her about my plan to drive to the city, and she tried to shut the idea down, but I'm convinced that it has to happen.

I've seen Zolan and all the beauty the planet has to offer. We need to make the best out of being on Earth, and show the guys what Earth is all about. For all its faults, Earth has some beauty.

The only issue is Cherry's car. It's small, suited to seat up to five humans, not enormous aliens. The windows are tinted—which is a necessity if we want to hide the guys. Cherry decided to stay behind and watch the house while we're gone.

I don't have any form of identification on me, so I technically shouldn't be driving. But I figure that's the least of our worries if we get pulled over. I'll have a harder time explaining the aliens in my back seat than why I don't have my license.

After dark, we head to the car Cherry that's parked a safe distance away. The boys had a hard time wrapping their head around the television, but a car? Vadnar stomped, cursed the thing, and swore he would never get inside "that cage." But after a lot of beckoning on my end, I got them shoved into the back seat, their necks twisted to fit inside. They quiet down after I play the radio, mesmerized by the Spanish music.

I drive around the city outskirts, showing them the tall buildings, paved roads, holographic billboards and the lingering humans. They ask me a thousand questions—like why do humans wear such short clothing. Is it because fur is expensive nowadays?