41

DEE

The men and I ride hard and fast for hours. I'm rattled and sore, but my heart's aching is the worst pain. The one I need to resolve by reaching Vadnar.

I can see the smoke in the sky as we approach the castle. Small fires burn everywhere, and the people are distraught. This war has worn everyone thin, but it's over.

It's fucking over.

I ride with a cloak on, hiding my face and body. But we are still a group of seven that turn heads. When we make it past a bridge, galloping across, our journey is halted by three unidentified men. They barge out, wielding weapons.

I pull my beast to a stop as my guards close in on me and attack. I watch helplessly, hoping my guards don't get hurt. We have lost enough already.
My cloak must have not done a great job at hiding me. They know I'm here and what I am to Vadnar.

Another group gallops from the north. And Vadnar is in the lead. My lungs empty. He's so close to me. After so many hellish days apart, he's within reach.

Vadnar joins my guards, taking down two of the attackers and sending the third one running.

Then Vadnar abandons his beast to swing behind me and take my reins. There is no time for greetings. He rides hard, wrapping an arm around my waist to secure me. I grip his forearm, needing to touch him and ensure he's actually here, unharmed.

We ride into a heavily fortified palace, and he helps me to my feet. Only when we're locked inside a room in the palace does he embrace me.

"Heavens, Dee. I missed you." He drags his hands over my body—not sexually, but to ensure I'm unharmed. Then he kisses me, hard. And I cling to his biceps, thanking the gods for reuniting us.

"Don't do that ever again," I scold him and peck his lips. "No more wars."

It's an outrageous request. He is king now and many wars will follow.
"No more wars for now," he replies. "Just us enjoying our new home."
My cheeks warm, because I remember his promise. The gift he will plant in my womb that we have denied each other as we prepared for this war over the past two years.

A knock comes from behind us, and Vadnar looks irritated.

"What is it?" He asks.

"It's me," Vaine answers.

I pull the door open and embrace Vaine. He's as chirpy as ever, happy to have me back. He and Hull are safe. It warms my heart seeing that they missed me.

Vaine drags me away, and although I want to spend more time with Vadnar, I can't say no to him. Vaine gives me a tour of the palace. It feels like I'm invading. Like I don't belong here, but I will get used to the feeling. I am here for Vadnar. I would follow him everywhere.

We all share a meal that night. Not in the fancy dining room, but sitting on the floor of the main hall. It makes us feel like we're still at the mountain.
Vadnar and I take a bath together in a fancy wide tub, embracing each other platonically. Then when we lay in bed, I fight my sleep because I want to keep listening to his heart beat.

In the morning, he's still there.

Although he has a million things to do around the palace, he keeps me in his arms, kissing me although I must look like a mess.

"What are your plans for today?" He asks me.

"Probably exploring more."

"Don't step out of the castle, alright? It's not safe."

I nod.

"And be in bed early today. That's a king's order."

I frown at this. "Why?"

He smirks. "Because I have plans for us."

I blush and push him. "Go on now!"
We both get ready. I don't have clothes here, so I wear a simple dress a size too large that was found in another room.
I walk around with Vaine all day, exploring this extravagant, chiseled place that is supposed to be my home. I'm not sure what my role will be here. I used to fish at the mountain for others but there are no rivers nearby. I'm sure something will occur to me, but for now, I'm just ensuring my loved ones are safe.

I think of the friends I left on Earth—Cherry, Ranrok, Kira. I'm sure they're doing well, wherever they are. People so amazing tend to thrive wherever they go.

I'm following Vaine around a kitchen when I'm snatched into a closet. I gasp, and Vadnar kisses me.

"What are you doing? I thought you told me to see you tonight," I whisper.

"Couldn't wait until then," he replies, already reaching up my skirt.

Unlike my friends, I don't know if I'll thrive alongside this farmer-turned-gladiator-turned-king. He might just be the end of me.