39

DEE

I linger on the field where I last saw Vadnar. Where he kissed me and we looked at the sunset.

It has been five long days, and we have yet to see a sign of all the men. There are reports that The Capital has turned to hell. There's looting and violence. People are taking advantage of the chaos between the armies.

Word on the street says that the masters have the upper hand. The queen's military was caught off guard and unprepared for the master's fury. The last report we received is that Vadnar breached their palace walls.

Now it's just a waiting game. A terrible, gut-wrenching waiting game.

"Dee, you must return soon," says my guard. He has been hovering behind me every day, like he's worried I'll lose patience and run after Vadnar and all of my friends who are fighting in The Capital.

"I know. Just give more minutes, please." I ask, staring at the treeline and hoping Vadnar would appear along with his army.

"You must have dinner," he pushes.

My stomach grumbles at the mention of food. He's right. I've been playing with my food. I'm lucky if I have even three bites. My appetite seems to have left with Vadnar.

A shifting in the trees makes me push away from the tree trunk I'm leaning against. I point a finger at the distance, where a figure appears. It's a male.

My guard steps forward, his hand setting on his sword.

"Wait!" I rasp, squinting to get a better look at the man in the distance. He's pale. Not a Zolano.

"Trey?!" I shout, running forward but getting stopped by my guard.

Trey waves from the distance, and I cover my mouth. My knees sway, and I sink into my guard's hold.

What the fuck? Trey is alive?

Guilt had been gnawing at me for years. I never forgot about leaving him behind in the Colosseum. I wondered what became of him and how much he suffered while being alone and not understanding the language.

"He's a friend," I tell my guard, placing my hand over the grip of his sword so he can't unsheathe it.

We wait for Trey to cross the field, and my guard scans the distance for company. It seems like Trey is alone. The closer he gets, the more I notice how much he has changed.

He's muscular now. Jacked with muscles and a few scars on his bare arms. He even seems taller.

"Long time no see, stranger," Trey says in English. A language I haven't heard in two years.

Tears stream down my face. "H-how..."

Although Trey hadn't been particularly brave or supportive when we teleported to Zolan, he is still human. Still my coworker and the man I once had affection for. He's the last connection to Earth that I have. And although things are very different now, I still care about him.

"I heard Vadnar is attacking the palace and thought this was a perfect opportunity to make my comeback." He grins, his blue eyes shining.

My guard shifts his stance. He seems uneasy because he can't understand the conversation.

"How did you escape the colosseum?!"

"Vadnar sent other rescue parties for the gladiators that were captured to replace him and the others that escaped. I made it out and have been surviving on my own. I tracked you down but didn't dare to approach. Not with your crazy man around."

I grasp his hand and squeeze hard. "I can't imagine what you've been through alone, Trey. Please forgive me for leaving you behind. We had no choice. I..."

He shakes his head and squeezes my hand back. "I was never your responsibility. Don't feel guilty. Besides, having to survive alone was a wake-up call that I needed."

"Where have you been staying?"

He shrugs. "I worked at a dock for a year, preparing ships. Learning the language. But I never forgot you."

My eyes shift to my guard.

"I don't think they'll let you sleep here without clearance. Not without Vadnar's permission. But I can get you food and clothes and..."

He raises a hand to stop me. "Don't worry about me. I came with good news. The queen has surrendered. Vadnar won. The crazy man did it."

I gasp. My heart jolts in my chest, and my knees weaken. Emotion swells in me, and I nearly cry in relief.

"Do you know if they're coming back?" I whisper.

He shakes his head. "That's all I know, but I guess he will stay to ensure control of the palace."

This sounds so crazy. Vadnar, the man at the throne? The king of the palace? This is something we've dreamed of for over two years. We never thought it would become reality.

"Dee, will you tell me what this stranger is staying?" My guard asks.

I turn to him. "Yes, sorry. He's an old friend of mine. From my world. We used to be imprisoned in the Colosseum together and he got left behind the day of the escape. He came to tell us that the queen surrendered."

My guard squints, unfazed by the news."We can't trust his report or accept him. You know this, right? I'm sorry, but Vadnar entrusted me with your safety. I must protect you from everything, especially strangers."

"Yes, I get it, but I must at least give him food. He came all this way."

He nods. "If we won, then you should start packing. Vadnar will send men to retrieve you soon. He will want you by his side."

I swallow hard. Leave the mountain, which has been home for years sounds unnerving. Especially since I would be trading this free, humble world on the mountain for one made of luxury. A palace.

I don't want any treasures the queen must have left behind. Nor do I want her title. I just want to be with Vadnar. And if he's in the palace, then so be it. I will run to him like a bat out of hell.

After all, he promised me a family. Those babies won't make themselves. And that kinky, dirty man will want to explore every room in that palace with me perched on his cock.

I push away my filthy thoughts and spring to action. I tell Trey to wait for me as I prepare clothes, food, and bedding for him. I hope Vadnar lets him stay, even from afar. Trey seems to have grown a lot. And it would be nice to have a bit of Earth beside me. We could become great friends because the romantic affection I had for him is long dead.

He thanks me for the materials I hand him, and I watch him return to the field. I feel guilty for abandoning him again, but I must think of everyone. Trey has been gone for years and we need to clear him before we allow him to get close. I wouldn't forgive myself if someone got hurt because I trusted him too quickly.

I return to my shed to pack my things, and my guard stands by the door. We don't tell anyone about Trey's report, because it has yet to be verified by one of our own messengers.

I pack my clothes and Vadnar's favorite knife that he left behind, clutching the handle and thinking of his hand. God, I miss those massive, calloused hands that could tear me apart as easily as they could build me up. The hands that caress my hair and skin like they're precious. That dip their fingers into my most inner depths, plunging over and over until they're dripping. Fucking me tirelessly as his mouth does the same.

I miss those broad shoulders that I caress as he sits behind his desk and writes letters. The feel of the muscles and tendons jerking with every little movement. Their stiffness. Their strength that allowed them to pick me up and hold me in place as he fucks me.

I miss his lips. Miss how they quirk with amusement and irritation. No matter what I make him feel, he always comes back to me. He loves when I enrage him. And I love uncovering that softness, that sweetness that he hides from everyone else. It's only reserved for me.

I fall asleep with my bags laying beside me. The sun is rising when six riders rush up the mountain—six of our men. They declare that the bloodshed is over. Vadnar and the masters have conquered the Capital, and the new king has summoned me.

Trey was right. It's over, and I need to go home: to Vadnar's arms.