32

DEE

"No," I exhale.

These two can't be here. If the world finds out about them, they'll stick them under a microscope.

Vadnar rushes forward. He helps me up as Ranrok stands close, hands outreached as if to catch me.

"Get the fuck away Ranrok, or I swear that I'll bury you in this foreign soil!" Vadnar snarls. "How dare you embrace her like she's yours?"

"Not now!" I interject. "Please, we have to find shelter." And talk. There is so much to talk about!

Ranrok isn't interested in anything but fighting, because Vadnar's threat enrages him. He tackles Vadnar to the ground, and the two tumble in the grass, swinging and kicking. We're on a hill right by the woods. Luckily, there's no one around to hear their struggles.

"Guys! Guys, please!"

My begging goes unheard, so I do the next best thing and pretend to faint. The sound of my body hitting the ground has them untangling and coming to my side. I pretend to slowly return to consciousness, batting my lashes and weakly saying, "We need to find Cherry."

"Yes, I'll find you all the cherries, my love. Just stay still and calm down."

They're both kneeling over me, sporting busted lips and bruising cheekbones. But at least they haven't killed each other yet.

I slowly get up, palming Vadnar's chest for support. They wear similar tunics, made of brown fur and bits of leather. Vadnar has a knife sticking out of a breast pocket—so close to his heart, so carelessly placed. These two men stand out like sore thumbs. They're warriors. And their red skin won't help them blend in.

"Look. We're all on Earth now. We need to find my friend, Cherry."
They both look around, mesmerized by the buildings in the distance.

"The grass looks like Zolan," Ranrok says, gripping a handful.

Except that it's not. If they thought they were ostracized while on Zolan for being masters, they will be shocked to see how evil Earth could be to them.

"Ranrok, why are you here?" I whisper.

"I ran for you," he replies. "I missed you while you were gone."

Vadnar's fingers dip into my waist—likely to anchor himself before he throttles the other man.

"Thank you for looking for me, but I'm... I can't be with you."

I hate having this conversation with him a second time. It feels cruel.

"He's staying behind," declares Vadnar. "Staying on this planet."

"Vadnar!" I gasp.

Ranrok stares at me for a long time, studying everything from my hair to my lips. "That would be the wisest choice," he says. "I will never let you go, Dee. Vadnar and I will forever keep fighting."

"But you need our protection, and we need you to help in the war!"

He shrugs a shoulder. "I've always had little faith in your mission to overtake the crown. We don't have enough numbers. I followed Vadnar to protect you, not to serve him."

This is crazy. Irrational. "Ranrok, you deserve to live in a world of peace. You won't find it on Earth"

"I told you I was fine living in the prison until you came along. I am obsessed with you, Dee. But now that I'm in your world, I can spend my days living in the mountains, studying your kind. There will be no more fighting, only peace and isolation. I've had enough war to last me a lifetime."