Chapter Twenty Eight

Hey all! I am so sorry for such a delay! I got so damn sick and I am finally feeling more normal. Who gets double pneumonia in the summer? I do, that's who. 😢 😭

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

Amaris

I've always been a decent height in my opinion. Not too tall, definitely not short, but for fuck's sake; if Vlad doesn't slow his long legged ass down, I might just have to sprint to keep up with him.

I race after him through hallway after hallway, past multiple doors, and I'm led to an area I've never been before.

By the time he stops, I crash into his back and fall backwards right onto my ass. Wincing, I hurry and stand, ignoring the pain radiating up from my tailbone.

Vlad just stares at me as I shiver and put a couple of feet distance between us. He didn't grab a towel; how the hell isn't he cold? I watch a few water droplets glide down his chest and notice several scars- resembling those that Anna has- but on her back. Were they abused by the same person? How old were they? It's still no excuse for him to be a murderous dick.

He clears his throat. I glance up and hope he didn't see me staring at those scars. I just keep adding onto the pile of shit that's going to get me killed. Tilting his head, I follow with my eyes and see we are looking through a half glass wall.

Anna is on the other side. Surrounded by medical personnel.

"That is the same spot you were in when we brought you back," he says, almost sounding bored. "I stood right here watching then, too." He braces his hands on a ledge and leans forward, his eyes rapidly following different people as they flutter around Anna. At least she is no longer seizing or vomiting. But she sort of looks gray. This isn't good.

I bravely take a step closer, daring to reach out and touch his arm. His head whips to the side as he stares down at my hand. Immediately, I withdraw and take a step back. Jesus.

"Look, I know you said we need to have a discussion, but honestly I didn't do anything wrong." If I could sound just a tad bit more pathetic, I'd probably punish myself for it. I'm like a weak snitch trying to prove my innocence before accusations have been made.

I'm starting to sound like I have a guilty conscience.

His eyes flick up to mine and he stays silent. I can't stand that. Just say what you want to or yell and scream.. do something besides silently stare.

Maybe it's his intention; to make me so uncomfortable I just place blame on me.

Vlad breathes out and stands up straight again, motioning for me to follow him to some chairs. I cautiously sit after a moment. "I know you didn't do anything, kitten. Anna used to have a lot of troubles with addiction," he says. I stare at him in disbelief. Im unsure if I'm more surprised that he doesn't blame me or at that little piece of knowledge he just spilled. I turn my gaze back at Anna. I never would've thought it.

He continues, "Since a young age, Anna she, how to say..." he trails off momentarily, "she has liked to indulge in drugs and alcohol. Much too young. Kids they.. they try things, yes. Anna... she tried and was addicted to many substances by only age fourteen."

I continue sitting quietly, looking back and forth between Anna's unconscious form and my trembling hands atop my lap.

"She's twenty-two now. I was shocked she made it out of her formative years alive. My father," he shifts and grabs my face. Not hard, but none too gentle, and directs my focus to the scars on his chest. "You've seen these on Anna too, yes?" I nod and he lets my face go. "My father liked to use a blade tipped whip for discipline," He brushed his fingers over the rows of scars. I know that shit had to hurt, but I refuse to feel sorry for him. Anna though, it breaks my heart knowing that's the cruelty she endured.

Vlad drops his hand and sighs. "My father beat me when Anna told him I got her drugs for her," he scoffs harshly. "I never would have supplied my little cousin with drugs and once my father believed me, he turned his wrath upon Anna."

He sits quietly for a moment or two. I silently plead for him to go on.

"Anna almost died from infection; from her wounds you see. I was such a weak man to beg my father to believe me. I should have just taken the beatings so Anna was left unharmed. Felix still doesn't forgive me.

"After several weeks of intense wound treatment and IV antibiotics, Anna was well enough. She also got through withdrawals and kept away from drugs. She was much worse with drugs than the liquor.

"But as further punishment, she was never to leave our homes again. She is to stay with us no matter which estate we decide to stay at.

"With my parents, my uncle and aunt, all dead, you'd think I would allow her freedom, yes?" Is he expecting me to answer? Slowly, I nod; hoping I'm not fucking up by doing so.

He laughs. Actually laughs. Nothing mean or mocking about it.

"If I had let Anna loose, she would be dead with a needle in her arm first chance she got. You see how quickly she found a drug tonight, yes?"

Oh.

It's not my business. It's not my business. It's not my business!

She's grown. She can make her own choices. Bad or not.

I remain silent and just hold his gaze with my own. "You don't have to answer, kitten. But what I do want answered, is how she got the drug exactly. I know it was Malik, but Felix was watching like a hawk. I also didn't see any drugs being exchanged between them. But you," he leans closer to me, "you knew exactly how she got it. I saw you look right at him."

Fuck.

I squeeze my eyes shut tight. I don't want to be a narc. I really don't. Lying won't do me any favors here though.

Neither will telling the truth.

Pick my poison, I guess.

Sighing, I open my eyes and stare back at Vlad's dark, empty eyes. "I don't think he intentionally gave her the ecstasy," his brows rise in disbelief before I can even finish. "Just let me fucking finish!" I yell without thinking.

Vlad's hand shoots out fast and grips my throat hard. I can still breathe, just barely. I stiffen and force my hands to remain in my lap. I won't fight him. He enjoys it too much.

"Watch how you fucking speak to me, suka," he sneers and shoves me back by my throat. I cough a few times before nodding once.

I can't wait to kill him.

"Malik had the pill in his mouth and was going to take a shot. It spilled down the front of him and when Anna did her whole licking up to his mouth, she swiped the pill from him with her tongue. He looked shocked at first but then I think he was too into what she was doing that he kept fooling around with her..."

There it is. I'm a narc. And by the look on Vlad's face, I'm not sure who he is angrier with.

Anna?

Malik?

Or me?