Chapter Twenty Three

Amaris

The next couple of weeks go by without much incident. I fall into a routine at Vlad's estate where I work my ass off just as he said I would. My injuries are healed but they remain a constant reminder with the dull aches and pains throbbing a steady tempo by the time I go to sleep each night.

Anna is working side by side with me most days, but sometimes she disappears for hours at a time. I don't mind though, it gives me space to think without having to try too hard to keep up an obedient facade and having a personal spy on me at all times. Sure, she's Vlad's family, but he treats her like she's a prisoner.

I don't doubt that she is required to report back to him about me, despite her earlier claims to help me get out of here.

I do try my best to keep my lips sealed and follow orders. Even with the absurd shit his guys do on purpose, I'm determined to make myself forgotten about.

These pigs purposely make messes in front of Anna and I both then laugh at us as we clean it up. She just smiles and rushes into it. I grit my teeth hard and pray my face stays impassive.

If I don't draw attention by cussing someone out or throwing shit around, eventually I'll blend in with the background.

I hope.

Then I'll attack.

No matter how broken up I am over Adrian's death, I maintain my cool. And thankfully, Vlad hasn't tried to rub it in my face again. I don't think I'd be able to control my hands if he did.

The days have been going by quickly yet slow at the same time. At least he allows me to be fully dressed comfortably in leggings and t-shirts, and comfortable tennis shoes. He honestly doesn't realize he has provided me with the most simple attire to make for a fast escape.

The front door booms open, bringing me out of my thoughts. Vlad is yelling on his phone and pacing by the door that is surprisingly still in one piece. I want to eavesdrop but I don't know any Russian.

Except for one word.

Suka. The only name I'm really called here. Only Anna calls me by my name.

I roll my eyes at the fact I am nothing more than a bitch to these people yet they sure don't want to let me leave. They don't need me nor Anna slaving around here. There are plenty of maids here to do all that.

I huff out an exasperated breath and continue sweeping the dining hall. It literally takes me over an hour following each meal to clean up after all these grown ass pigs. It's like having a giant group of toddlers eating here.

The messes are definitely on purpose.

Lost in thought while sweeping, I didn't hear anyone join me and I back right up into them, causing them to drop everything in their hands. I halt, scared to turn around. I tighten my grip on the broom handle, preparing to use it as a weapon if this minor infraction starts some kind of shit. It wouldn't be the first time one of Vlad's men flipped out on me for a small mistake, but so far none have laid a hand on me. Just shouting insults, cussing me out, and making degrading remarks. I can handle all that and not resort to violence.

So far, anyway.

Please don't let it be Felix. I don't want to listen to him growl and mutter under his breath.

Shit! Please don't let it be Vlad! My heart rate picks up and my breathing starts coming out in short, quick gasps. Just be one of his mindless worker bees.

I have no such luck.

The clearing of a throat lets me know exactly who it is.

Shit...