Chapter Two

Damon

Death is boring, yet peaceful. Although it is way too quiet and dark, I suppose it is easy enough.

All that is here is the solid darkness with my thoughts pervading its thick silence. I never imagined I would die by the age of 30. I still had so much left to live for, so much of myself to give to her.  It has all been stolen from me instead.

Dominic. I wish I knew how he was doing.  I don't know if I could handle losing my twin. My life would never be the same again. I'd be incomplete.  God, if you're real, please show me some type of sign that my eternal resting place isn't just in the dark with only my thoughts to keep me company.  I need to know how Dominic and my family are doing. Did any of them get shot as well?  What about Amaris?  Is she okay?  Did Luca survive his bullet wound?

Will my sisters forgive me? I didn't mean to die and leave them. I never planned this nor did I want it to happen.

I promised Maria I'd never go far and I'd be the better uncle when she decided to have a family. We both knew I was a bit more relaxed and lenient than Dominic. I'd be the fun uncle. I'd spoil my nieces and nephews until they got sick of my generosity.

My sweet baby sister Miranda. Goddamnit how could I let this happen to me. She won't be able to cope. She's always been my sidekick. I never once snitched on her when I'd catch her taking extra desserts or licking the icing from our mother's spatulas when her back was turned. Now I'll never get to see her accomplish every goal she's got planned out. I won't get to share a dance with her at her wedding she always dreamed about since she was a little girl. Fuck.... I'll never get to find out who she's been secretly texting and giggling over. I sure would've liked to kicked some dude's ass that likes her just for the hell of it and then be happy for them both when they inevitably fell in love.

And my biggest regret... not being able to show Amaris just how much I loved her. She was it for me. For us. Our endgame. But like all good things, it was torn away before we could fully enjoy it. Our last encounter before my demise, things weren't looking good for us. Fuck! I hope Dominic can make our sweetheart happy.

I hope they are all alive. As lonely and dark as it is for me, I do not wish for any of them to join me in this void.

I begin to panic at these thoughts and my breaths start to rush in and out. A dull beeping noise is pounding in my ears incessantly, slowly driving me into madness.

Am I in Hell? I'd prefer the dark abyss of nothingness. I'd prefer to live if I'm perfectly honest.

I guess I deserve to be in Hell with the lifestyle I had and lives I took. Why can't it just be as silent as it is dark though? I could do without this goddamn muffled beeping.

"He's coming to. Give him some space. His hearing will return before his eyesight so it might overwhelm him."  A soft, faint voice broke through, accompanying the blasted beeps.

What are they talking about? Who are they talking about? Who are they?

The beeping continues, only growing louder with each second, and the darkness is slowly lifting. Orange and red colors have now replaced the darkness. Will it always be this way in death? Being in the dark at times but then a few moments of bright colors just to tease me? Sounds like Hell.

"Vitals are stable." The soft, faint voice spoke again. I want to ask them if they are a demon here to taunt me or if they too are stuck in Hell with me. I don't know how to communicate with them unfortunately.

Slowly, my eyes were met with the sight of my twin. Has he died too? Ah, shit, no! This can't be. One of us needed to at least stay alive. Our parents can't lose two children at once.