Chapter One

Damon

Pain.

Darkness.

Pain and darkness. It is all I can physically register. The buzzing in my ears is deafening and my shoulders feel extremely heavy.  The panicked voices surrounding me have pierced through the buzzing here and there, allowing me to make out some of what is being said. Although, I can't make out who is who. No. The buzzing won't let up enough to offer me that comfort. My eyelids won't follow my commands and open either. If I could make a bet right now, I'd wager that this is a shitty day.

The pain is just too damn much. I'm on fire. Hot lava is dripping out of my stomach and saturating me, leaving a burning sensation wherever it goes. There's no way to get it off of me and I am too weak to call for help.  My body isn't mine anymore. My brain has disconnected from me I do believe until my hands finally work again. I try to brush the burning liquid off of me with my hands, but it just coats my digits in a thick, sticky substance.  The substance surprisingly does not burn my fingers as it does on my abdomen. 

Help. I need help. Why isn't anyone helping me?

"Help m-me..". My plea finally stutters from my nearly useless lips.

"Just hang in there! You're going to be fine! Help is on the way!" A familiar voice pushes through to me. I can hear the fear laced in their words.  They aren't confident in what they just said.  The fear and doubt is thick in their voice.  Hopelessness radiating off of their body with the way their hands tremble as they put pressure on my abdomen. I'm not sure which hurts more. The heavy weight on my stomach or the lie that slips from their lips?

Open your eyes.

I began to plead with my body; the darkness is overwhelming. Unable to see my surroundings plus feeling as though there is a pool of fire consuming my abdomen, my brain is signaling for me to fight hard. Don't give up, Damon. Even if parts of my body won't work correctly right now, I'll keep my mind and heart strong. It's all I have to fight with currently.

I remember all the stories and shows where the dying character is told to walk away from the light, or don't slip away into the darkness. If only the writers knew just how strong the darkness is.

My mind is telling me what to do, my heart is encouraging me to fight with all I have, but my body is simply not responding.

Damnit! Open your eyes! Open them now before it is too late!

Open. Your. Eyes!

As I internally battle between my mind and body, my heart cheering my body on, I feel multiple pairs of hands on me. More sensations means I'm fighting good right?

The pain is surreal as a set of hands push down on my fire leaking gut. My breath gets caught in my throat from the immense pain, but I can't respond or protest to the foreign sets of hands, no matter how hard I try. My hands won't work again. They only teased me momentarily a few minutes ago. Or was it an hour ago? I have no idea.

My eyelids are opened one at a time and a light is waved in front of me, blinding me nearly.  The stranger above me must be a medical responder of some sort. Thank fuck for that. Help really was here.

"Pupils are reactive, there's brain activity still, we need to hurry up and get him to the hospital!"  The stranger's voice shouted over the chaos; the urgency in their voice, impossible for me to miss.  I'm lifted up and placed onto something hard and uncomfortable as fuck.  My arms are restricted next to me and belts are strapped all over me, ceasing my ability to move; as if I even could. Rough movement soon follows and then a big bump.  Bright lights shine all around me in the enclosed space.  I can see the backs of my eyelids glowing a reddish orange hue. I feel a cooling sensation running through me as the pain begins to subside marginally and I realize I'm in an ambulance.

Holy fuck! I was shot!  The memory comes rushing through my mind in a fierce wave.  I literally was shot!  My first time eating a bullet. It's unusual for someone like me being able to say that. Now stabbings? I've had a few unpleasant encounters with knives.

Open your eyes. Do it Damon! Stop being a giant pussy!

My eyelids don't feel near as heavy and I can manage a squint, the lights in here are impossibly bright.  I am in an ambulance for sure, I can see the paramedics on either side of me through my eyelashes.  One places a mask over my mouth and nose.

"Just hang in there, okay, we are almost to the hospital." Soothing words of encouragement are spoken softly to me by one of the paramedics. I hear a beeping sound clearly now that the buzzing in my ears finally stopped.  It reminds me of a heartbeat. It's my heartbeat. On their machine. It sounds nice and strong at least.

Suddenly we stop moving and the doors swing open. I'm quickly rolled into the hospital.  Many different voices are shouting different commands and I can barely make out several nurses and doctors surrounding me through my squinted eyes. Are the lights always this goddamn bright in these places?

"Prep him for surgery! STAT!" A man yelled loudly, drowning out all the different people talking.

Before I knew it, I felt extremely tired. What little progress I made with getting my eyelids to part, is now gone. Taken right from me. My body is shutting down. Shit no. I've held on this long, why now?! My heart is weakly telling me to fight and my mind is getting foggy.

"Alright, almost asleep... 3...2...1... and he is under." The voice was but a whisper, fading away gently. As the darkness consumes me fully, there's only one final thing that comes to my mind.

Amaris.