Chapter Fifteen

Amaris

The shot fired leaves a heavy weight on top of my chest, but at least I can finally breathe again. I cough and gasp, taking in lungfuls of much needed air.

I get my hands between my chest and Hyo's limp body and struggle with pushing the lifeless prick off of me. His eyes remain open; dull and definitely dead. I shimmy my body the rest of the way out from under him and let him flop down in my spot. I dart off the bed, hands rubbing at my battered neck, and notice Kwan placing a gun back in the holster on his side.

He motions toward Hyo's body. "Clean that up," he barks at the two men by the door, "and let this be a clear message to everyone. Keep your hands off the girl."

Kwan left the room abruptly and the men wrapped Hyo's body up in the duvet, which is now drenched in his blood, and Lina grabs my elbow, leading me to the bathroom again.

Maye is no where to be seen but her blood is still all over the bathroom.

I gasp and raise my hand to my mouth in both shock and disgust at the amount of blood, Hyo's blood, saturating my hair and covering my body. I quickly get back into the shower and start scrubbing.

I'm a sobbing mess as I scrub and watch the bloody water swirl down the drain.

I was nearly strangled to death.

A dead body was on top of me.

Loud, garbled sobs continue to spew from me as I lower myself to the shower floor. After a few minutes or more, Lina shuts off the water and drapes a towel across my shoulders. I compose myself enough to wrap the towel around my body. I step out of the shower and sit back in front of the vanity. Dark purple bruises in the shape of fingers have covered my throat already, my face bruised and swollen around my eye.

My hair is so short now and I feel utterly hopeless. As trivial as an unexpected haircut may be, it just reminds me more that I am not seen as a human being now. I'm just a piece of property that can be mistreated and utilized as my captors see fit.

I sniff and blink back more tears. I'm so tired of crying. I just want to go home.

Hell, even being with Vlad and his crew was better than this.

Lina softly brushed through my hair, nothing like the ripping and tearing Maye did. She trims the uneven ends then blow dries my hair fully.

She's quiet as she works. Her hands are featherlight and quick. She gives me a sad smile then begins applying dark dye to my hair. I don't bother fighting her. It's useless. She will do whatever it is they instruct her to anyway. At least she's gentle.

After a little while of just sitting and staring at my hands while the dye sits, Lina rinses the dye out, shampoos my hair, and blow dries it all over again.

It's like going to a really cheap salon.

I actually smile at my reflection, the color is rich and matches my natural color. "Thanks, Lina, you did a nice job."

Motioning with her hands, she directs me back to the bedroom toward the closet.

I try not to look at it, but I can't help myself and see the bed stripped already. Absolutely no blood remains. The wall is spot free and they must have put a new mattress on the bed frame while I was in the bathroom because judging the amount of blood that was on me, as well as everything around me, I know it definitely soaked into the mattress.

Lina handed me some red, lacey lingerie. I raise a brow and hold it at arms length in front of me. "Lingerie?" I stare at her for a moment, not even really shocked that this is what I'm being made to put on.