Chapter Twenty One

Luca

After Vlad's crew bound our wrists and ankles together, they took off and didn't kill anymore of us... yet. We all know very well that he intends to eliminate every last one of us. We need to kill him first. It'll be the only way to retrieve my sister and stop the slaughter of our mafia.

Pain laced groans draw my attention. "I'm fine, just tighten the belt so I stop bleeding out goddamnit," Dominic snarls at Cole. I glance at his leg and see quite a bit of blood, but he shouldn't bleed out before the doctor on standby in our plane can tend to his wound. 

I look around to see several guys getting loose from their bindings now and see my dad finally got himself free and is heading my way. I feel guilty thinking this, but I'm glad it wasn't my father shot in the head tonight. Vlad looked like he had no soul when he stared Armando down for a brief moment then executed him. There is some deep seated hatred involved that I'm not aware of. More than rivalry. More than greed to build his empire. But undiluted hatred.

He murdered Armando then simply turned and walked away while my sister was slung over the shoulder of that maniac Felix, with her back covered in an ungodly amount of blood.

Some dude at least was trying to stop the bleeding, walking in step next to Felix. Because of this, I know she will survive. For now at least. They don't seem to want her dead or sold off.

But why?

My body jolts a few times as my dad cuts through the thick wads of duct tape binding my wrists then he frees my ankles. I shake my head and blink a few times to clear my head. "Armando?" I whisper to my dad, already knowing the answer but part of me needs someone to confirm it. For whatever reason, my mind is trying to go into shock, as if I've never seen someone killed before.

Which is absurd. I've seen more death than I care to admit. I've also taken many lives and I'm not proud of it. I do my duty and thank my higher power that I'm still alive and able to go home to my wife and daughter.

"Dead," he confirms, his voice dull and emotionless. "At least it was instant. I don't know how to even break this to his wife and daughters." He gives me a hand and pulls me to my feet. I study my father's eyes briefly. His grief is apparent and this won't be easy for him. It wouldn't be easy for me either. He had become Armando's second in command. Outranking his sons even. But family always held a higher regard to him, same as it does with my dad and I.

Family and their safety, always the priority before others.

I glance towards the twins. Damon is helping Cole stand Dominic up. Damon places one of Dominic's arms around his shoulder to help him walk and lifts his chin at Cole, motioning him to go ahead of them. They still hate him, but I'm glad Cole doesn't hold a grudge and jumped right into helping Dominic with that gunshot wound. I look back at my dad, "Can't Dominic or Damon tell them?"

He smiles sadly at me. "Of course they can and I'm sure they will. But there will be the time when the questions will come. Be prepared for it because you'll be asked too. Women in the mafia can get vicious at times like this. We really need to be there and offer whatever support and comfort possible," he exhales loudly, "even if it only temporarily keeps one of Armando's daughters from going off after someone, fueled by grief induced rage."

His words make sense. Miranda is the one that would go off without thinking. She's reactive and impulsive, a lot like Amaris is. She would end up dead faster than anyone could get to her and help her. "Perhaps Maria and Miranda should have some personal guards to shadow them closely for a while," I suggest, "just to be on the safe side and keep Miranda from flying off half cocked." My dad nods once at me and waves his hand as he turns, motioning for me to follow.