Chapter Twelve

Amaris

Landing into a freezing pool of water from an extremely high drop off; hurts like hell! 10/10 don't recommend... unless you're trying to escape angry mobsters that is.

The impact knocked the breath clear out of me, causing me to involuntarily inhale, bringing water into my lungs. I frantically stroke and kick in the water, attempting to resurface, only to be brought back down each time by the current.

I get kidnapped, guns pointed at me, guns shoved up against my head, grazed by a bullet twice now, and this is how I am going to die?

Drowning.

It's exhausting and miserable. I can't fight it anymore. I feel my body tire out and I have no more control over it.  I've inhaled too much water and can't expel any of it, let alone resurface.

My vision starts to blacken out and my head feels heavy, my lungs screaming for oxygen. But before I lose complete consciousness, I'm suddenly ripped out of the water by my arms.

Violently coughing, my back being beaten on, I start throwing up a ridiculous amount of water. My lungs feel like they are literally burned, it hurts so bad to even breathe in the air. My vision remains cloudy, my contacts that have been stuck in my eyes for several days now, have been washed away.

Just. Perfect.

Blinking away at the water droplets, and attempting to have a bit of a clear view now that I'm rendered pretty much blind, I make eye contact with the body in front of me.

I blink again slowly.  My mind isn't processing that this isn't Felix or his goons. It's him again. I haven't seen him since the night I was taken.

Maybe I was without oxygen for too long and my brain is fucking with me.

"Hello again, Amaris," He smiled down at me, a menacing smile that matched the evil glint in his eyes.  "Just what have you gotten yourself into now?"

•••

Felix

This is no good!  Vlad is going to cut me in half!  How could I let this happen?

I frantically start pacing at the cliff's edge while scanning the area below as much as possible.

"FUUUUUUCCCKKKK!" I roar,  my outburst echoing in the vast, open area.  "Get down there right now!  Find her," I command to the men, "and for all of your sakes, she better be alive."  I growl, narrowing my eyes at them.  I'll castrate them all before disposing of their bodies if the suka is dead.

The group quickly dispersed, looking for ways to get down to the water below.  Cursing again, I get out my phone to inform Vlad of the situation on hand when my eyes catch movement from the ground below.  Quickly hanging up,  I squint and recognize the bastard we employed to jumpstart the suka's move back home as well as kidnapping her. 

Once Vlad had found out about her, he was dead set on having her.  The fact that those twins got attached to her delayed his little pet's delivery. Either way, he still got what he wanted.

Except he didn't expect how slippery she could be or that she would be so fast on her feet. She's a pain in the ass. A nuisance. She's going to cause nothing but problems, beautiful or not. He should kill her and send her head back to the Sorrentino clan and just finish the impending war.

But the question remains. Why is that nobody down there now?  Did the bastard help her escape our property? He's as good as dead now too.

Quickly radioing commands out to the men that have made good progress down the outskirts of the cliff, I instruct them to take that fucker out before he tries to take off with the suka

Ignoring the incoming call back from Vlad, I continue after my team.  I'll deal with his wrath later.

•••

Amaris

"Ryan.. how did... you.. you.. you kidnapped me!" I growl at the man I thought was my friend back in California.  His grip tightened on my bicep as he dragged me up to my feet and began dragging me behind him.

Sighing loudly, he states, "It was a job. Okay. I was paid to do all that. Just shut up and come with me... unless you want to go back with them?" He jerked his chin in the direction behind us. Felix and his guys were descending the hillside fast, hot in pursuit for me. Too bad they didn't take the same way down that I did...

Pansies.

I finally allow Ryan to lead me along with him, no longer resisting his pull on my arm and he loosens his grip slightly. I ask, "So why should I trust you now? You obviously enjoy betraying me for a quick buck." I can't hold back the venom in my voice. His betrayal hurts. He was my safe space many times when Devin got out of hand.

Why can't I trust anyone anymore?

I stumble, my thigh is still bleeding and hurting like crazy. He catches me and doesn't let me hit the ground at least. "To be honest, I hated to that to you, but I'm a piece of shit Amaris and I needed the money. Plain and simple. Now cut the chit chat and move your ass before you get us killed!" He gave me a harsh tug, making me walk faster even though my body feels physically broken.

After somewhat sprinting, partially walking, and being half dragged, we finally make it through the wall of trees in the dense forest.  The shouts of Felix and his men are getting nearer with every step.. every second.. causing fear and anxiety to crawl up my throat, leaving a thick wad of dread pressing on my windpipe.

A black sedan zips up to us and halts a few hundred feet away, with the back door flying open.  Ryan urges me to go faster but my body is screaming with fatigue and pain, and my lungs hurt more with each breath I take. 

Scooping me up bridal style, he begins sprinting towards the car, dropping me into the back seat and quickly slams the door shut.  I turn to look and see if he is coming around to the other side but all I see is him making a beeline into the woods on the other side of the vehicle. 

"Wait!  Where is Ryan going?  You're leaving him!"  I shout as the car lurched forward, speeding towards the other end of the clearing.  Not that I want anything good for Ryan, but damn my natural desire to want people to be safe.  I don't want him killed for betraying me, believe it or not.

Dark eyes find my own from the rear view mirror, a small chuckle escaping the man behind the wheel.  "He isn't part of the delivery."  The cold, deep voice stated, laughing loudly now that he can see my shock and fear surface.

Now what kind of shit am I in?