Chapter Nineteen

Amaris

Seeing my brother and father, as well as the twins, in the flesh, has me struggling in his grasp and Kwan pushes down more on the blade at my throat. The slight stinging sensation lets me know that the blade has broken through the delicate skin of my neck.  Kwan's grip tightens on me and his knee presses harder into my back, causing me to yelp.

"I said stay back!" Kwan shouts at everyone. Right now, he is sorely outnumbered and I really don't see a positive outcome happening for he or myself.  I just know that he is going to slit me ear to ear and then he will meet his inevitable demise afterward. All that is holding him back now is the fact that this hasn't registered in his head yet. At least that is what I think.

"I hope you know that you won't win this," I taunt, my voice strained, "you are all alone and once you kill me, someone is going to kill you." I wince as he digs the blade harder into my neck. Apparently pointing out the obvious pissed him off.

He chuckles and turns my body along with his as he surveys the area before us. "While we have many guests now, I do believe they are somewhat preoccupied with one another. Their focus isn't solely on you and me, darling." He slowly starts inching our bodies backward, keeping his focus on the crowd ahead. I hear several voices murmuring in the wooded area behind us and for half a second, I had hope that my family and the twins had more people coming in from behind us. 

That hope is promptly shattered when I hear their foreign language.

Well fuck, fate is a super cunt at times.

As if he read my mind, Kwan chuckled again. "Things aren't always what they seem to be now are they?" He murmurs next to my ear, causing angry tears to fill my eyes. This fucking bastard!

"You're outnumbered, Kwan! Release the girl and I might just allow everyone here to live another day!" Vlad shouts as he casually strolls forward, the twins tracking his every step with their guns. "You Sorrentino folks must think I am a fool if you think I believe it is just a small crew of you here," Vlad continues. As if summoned, several men come out of the woods, approaching my brother, father, and the guys with them. They keep their aim steady, pointing at Vlad's men as well as some pointing in Kwan's direction. I desperately want to yell out that Kwan's men are all lying in wait behind us but the pressure on the knife against my neck is too much.

"We aren't leaving without my daughter, Vlad," my father snapped. Several of their men flanked my brother and father as they turned their sole attention on Vlad and his approaching mob. The twins, and a few other men, including their father Armando, remain facing myself and Kwan.

This is one fucked situation that no doubt will end badly for everyone involved. On one hand, the Russians are going to kill my family and the Sorrentino men and their crew, while the Asians kill me and jump into the fight. A high number of casualties is certain.

"I'm afraid that isn't an option. We can do this the easy way... Or well the easy way," Vlad smirks then lets out a quick, shrill whistle. 

Before I knew what was happening, gunshots rang out from everywhere.  The force of Kwan landing on my body shoved his knife into my neck further, slicing right through several layers of skin. I yelp in pain and bring my hand to my neck, applying pressure in a panicked manner. The blood flowing down my chest is a slow, staggering drip.  I know my carotid and jugular were missed thankfully. Whether or not he meant to do that, I don't know. I assume he was trying to dodge stray bullets and my body served as a cushion to the little fall.

I remain lying flat on my stomach, peering up to see where my family is.  Several men are lying on the ground, injured and most likely a lot of them are dead. Kwan's men emerge from the dense woodlands behind us and join the battle. I slowly scoot backward, remaining on my stomach and my eyes fixed forward.