Chapter Nine

Amaris

I can't help feeling overwhelmed with despair as I keep replaying the scene of Adrian at the auction.  Never in my life did I expect him to be involved in something as immoral as this. 

I also never thought I would consider him a traitor.  The betrayal stings.  It really hurts.  I wish I could tell my dad or Luca or... the twins... about him. 

He's playing both sides?

When the vehicle stops, I'm brought back to reality, breaking my empty stare from the window.  Peeping around the headrest of the driver, my desperate eyes drink in the surroundings, hoping I can retain as much detail as I can to figure out where I'm located.

...at least until they sell me... or kill me...

A throat clears next to me.  "Come." Vlad softly commanded, offering me his hand. When I didn't jump at the offer, he squinted his eyes and tightened his lips. He's a bomb waiting to explode. I'd hate to see his blood pressure at any given time.

Exhaling, I take his hand and allow him to lead me away from the SUV and towards a magnificent structure.  I can only describe it as.. a castle.  "Is this.. a castle?" I blurt out, unsure if I'm allowed to speak freely, I flinch when he quickly cranes his head over to look at me.

He chuckles and beams a wide grin at me. It's rather terrifying. I prefer his evil smirks and cruel smiles. "Have you never seen one before darling? Maybe just in films?" His eyes search mine, he almost appears offended.

"Well.. I... can't say that I have." I admit. My shoulders slump, feeling bummed out -apart from my situation- like I'm just now discovering more to life than I ever did before I left home.  He tsks before tearing his gaze from mine.

Vlad leads me up a long stone staircase. The double doors loom well above my head. I bet these cost more than I've made in the last few years.

Once we enter, I do a quick scan of the area beyond the foyer. Color me impressed. I thought Armondo's and even the twins' homes were breathtaking, but this takes the cake.

The space is open and very large. So damn large. Perfectly white, polished marble floors sparkle in every direction I looked, with crystal light fixtures lining the walls, as well as... are those diamonds? Diamond chandeliers hang all over. No wonder the floors sparkle.

I'm frozen in awe at such beauty that I don't hear my name being called.  Vlad is several paces ahead and has stopped. He is probably going to shove his gun at me some more for stalling. I hurry forward and continue following Vlad.

He opens a set of wooden doors that lead to what appears to be a dining hall.  Several suited men were already seated along both sides of the long, rectangular table, with glasses of what I assume to be scotch.  Vlad takes the front and center of the table after he guided me into a seat directly to his right.  "Gentlemen.  I know it's rather late, but I hope you brought your appetites," He glances my way before he continues, "We had a very successful evening.  Expect bonuses in your stipends."  He levels his gaze over his men, many of them saying 'thank you boss' and clapping ensues.

A young looking waiter in a black tux and tie brings me a glass of white wine and Vlad a glass that I assume is scotch.  It matches the shit all these other guys are drinking anyway.  Sipping the wine, I can't help but smile as I am pleased to find it is sweet and not bitter.

"I took you for the type to enjoy the sweeter tastes, da?"

"Yes, thank you.  I can't stand bitter wine."  I offer a small smile.  He smiles in return, and places a hand on my left leg underneath the table, gently squeezing.