Chapter Fourteen

Amaris

After I showered and wrapped myself and my hair tightly in a towel, I sit down in front of the vanity connected to the sink countertop.  For being plain and simple, it really was pretty.  Its fluorescents are blinding, enough to singe my retinas, making me cringe back as soon as I flipped them on.

One of the women left a small notepad on the vanity counter.  I turn and look all around for something to write with but find nothing.  "Here. For eyes," the other woman stepped forward and gave me a pen and waited.  I jot down my brand and vision prescription to the best of my memory then hand it over to the woman.  I hold onto the pen in hopes she wouldn't notice but she did.  She held her hand out and raised a brow expectantly.  With a small sigh, I place the pen in her hand.

Maybe if I'm nice to these ladies, they will let their guard down.  I decide introductions might be the perfect ice breaker.  "What's your names?" I ask them, hoping they speak and understand English as fluently as the masked dude and the attractive dude.

"Maye," The older one replies, "Don't move, I be back."

The younger one smiles then tucks her chin.  "My name is Lina," she slowly approached me.  "Please don't do anything to upset Maye.  Her son is our boss and it's up to him how we all get treated."

I'm a bit surprised but not completely.  I assumed they both were related to someone here but maybe Lina I'd a prisoner just the same as I am?  I nod my understanding then look back into the vanity mirror. I let my hair down from its towel and cringe at the roots showing. This used to be a crisis for me but now, not so much.  I'm lucky to be allowed a shower, much less be alive.

"Miss," Maye spoke, startling me with her abrupt return. "Are you alright?" She asked, concern etched across her face.

"Err.. yes.. why?" I answer, her question throwing me off. I am just staring at my reflection, what would alarm her over that?

"You not reply and you talk to your picture," she says, pointing at the mirror. I thought I was just thinking about my hair, not talking out loud. I'm gradually losing my mind I guess.

But then again, my mind is very much intact.  Despite all the wrongdoings coming my way recently, I'm still holding on.  I refuse to break so easily.

A man appears in the mirror from behind me.  His hands clamp down on top of my shoulders and he squints his eyes as he stares at my eyes' reflection.  He ends his silence and says to me, "You know, I think a bit of a hair do would suit you well, what do you think?  I think we should cut that long web of bullshit off," he drags his hands through my damp hair, ripping his fingers harshly through the tangles, "and take that blonde out. You won't look like a natural born slut then, darling." His deep voice vibrated against me as he chuckled.

It's the masked dude without his mask!

Without thinking things through, I stand up fast and whirl around quickly to face him.  I draw my hand back to hit him in his rude mouth but unfortunately, he was faster than me.

Catching my fist within his own, he brought my hand down, twisted my arm back, and pulled it up behind my back.  I can't stop the whine that falls from my lips.  If he puts any more weight on my arm, he is going to snap it. 

I jolt my head backwards and hit him in the face.  His grip loosens slightly but his sudden shock quickly dissipates, and he slams me forward, pressing my chest down hard onto the sink counter.  The pressure is relieved a tiny bit from my arm but a lot of pressure has moved to my head.

"Hyo! Release the girl!" Another male voice demands. Without hesitation he lets go of me.

That's right Hyo, I was a few seconds away from kicking your ass!