Chapter Twenty Four

Amaris

If Felix thinks I'll be paying him back for showing me kindness with sexual favors, he has another thing coming. I scoff and stand up, shoving my chair back into its place a little bit too aggressively. My sudden mood shift isn't unnoticed by Anna.

"What did he say to you?" she says with a concerned look. Surely, she must know her brother is a disgusting pig of a man. I'd be willing to bet that she's observed his nasty behavior for a long time.

I half smile and shake my head, stalling for a way to say this in a kinder way; I don't want to upset her in regard to her brother after all. I don't need to add to my list of enemies. "He just said I'd owe him one if he lets me have a day off for my birthday," I say with what I hope is a playful eyeroll. I study her face for a moment. Her expression remains the same. Either she doesn't believe me, or she doesn't believe him.

Probably the latter.

She shrugs. "Well okay then. So, let's get some food and drinks. Maybe Vlad will let us go out to the pool and swim tonight too!" She jumps and claps excitedly, just like a child. I can't help but smile at her enthusiasm. "We need to make a list first and give it to one of Vlad's drivers."

"Think there's a chance that he'd let you and me go to the store, too?" I know the answer already, but I have to ask. Nothing wrong with testing the waters.

Anna snorts. "Yeah right. Vlad wouldn't allow us to go out in public, let alone allow you to leave period." She rolls her eyes and leans in close, "We are both prisoners in this place," she says lowly.  I quickly look at her eyes, they silently tell me to keep quiet.

Wow. Her own cousin is keeping her prisoner. I'm going to just stop being surprised anymore.

Anna grabs my hand and yanks me behind her to a quiet room with some overstuffed chairs and a slim coffee table. Must be some sort of reading room or a study. Who knows. There're so many damn rooms in this place that I can't keep up. I've never been inside this room before though. It's not one I'm designated to clean. Although, somebody should. I crinkle my nose as I swipe a finger through the dust caked on top of the coffee table.

Anna pulls out some paper and a pen from a slender drawer on the table and starts rambling off items we should get. Vlad is no way going to allow his 'prisoners' to splurge with his money. But I can't help letting my mind wander off, offering a few nods and 'mm-hmms' to make her think I'm paying attention. When she gets to the part about alcohol and the amounts, my attention immediately returns full force. It sounds like this we are trying to have a goddamn party. I lean forward and glance down and verify just how much she's written.

I whistle lowly. "Just how many people do you think will be joining us tonight? I thought it would just be the two of us?" I hope she doesn't take it wrong, but I'm curious to see if there will be other people with us. Enough to provide some sort of distraction.

But I won't try to escape. I need Vlad to trust me. However, this would be perfect to let me get more familiar with the outdoors here; given he lets us go swimming. Not that I actually want to. I dread the thought of Felix being out there and eye fucking me the whole time.

"Oh, it will mostly just be you and I," she pauses and looks up, "I think. I'm sure there will be plenty of guards though with the whole flight risk thing," she narrows her eyes at me before a wicked grin slowly creeps onto her face.

I try to huff out angrily but end up cheesing at her. "Can you blame me?"

She shakes her head, her eyes glittering with mischief. "Who do you think unlocked your window and distracted Felix so he would forget to lock your door?" She shakes her head once more, "I'm sorry things went bad for you, but I wanted to give you an opportunity to not be stuck like I am."

Emotions clog my throat and I have to swallow hard before speaking again.

"Anna... thank you," a tear slides out of my eye, and I wipe it away quickly before leaning over to hug her. "You risked yourself for me without even knowing me. I-I don't even know how to repay you."

She squeezes me back and sniffles before pulling away and holding onto the top of my shoulders. "You don't owe me. Just don't tell on me," she winks. There's something about her actions that I can't quite figure out. I'm not sure if it is bad news that she doesn't want to clue me in on or if something tragic has happened to her.

She stands abruptly and flashes the list over at me, waiting with a brow arched. I lean forward and take a quick perusal and agree with everything she has written down just to be done with it before following her to another office.

I raise my hand to knock but Anna waltzes right on in without a care in the world. I shrug and follow in behind her, stopping in my tracks instantly as my eyes bug out. "Oh my god!" I slap a hand over my eyes and quickly turn around. Anna didn't seem fazed at all as she continued around the desk and handed the paper over to some man sitting down...

...with a woman's head bobbing up and down while she's on her knees in front of him.

Both of them moaning.

I need Lysol.

And hand sanitizer.

And holy water.

This is exactly why people should knock. Ugh, I'm going to fucking puke if that bitch keeps slurping and smacking like cock is the tastiest treat.

The door shuts as I'm ushered back out of the room blindly. I turn around and look at Anna wildly. How is she not feeling awkward about that. "Okay let's go get you a swimming suit from my room!" Anna grabs my hand once more and pulls me behind her, jogging practically. She's buzzing with excitement. I try to show the same enthusiasm, but I'm still curious as to why she doesn't mind intruding on things so... personal.

When we get to Anna's room, I can't help myself any longer. I have to know.  "Anna... why didn't you knock?" She turns around and looks me in the eye. She's quiet for so long that I start to feel uncomfortable and wring my hands together. Maybe she has no answer. Or maybe she likes to watch others before interrupting for a smidge of a minute. Finally, she throws her head back and howls out the loudest laugh I have heard since being here.

She wipes away imaginary tears and composes herself. "If I knocked, we would never have been answered," she lifts a shoulder nonchalantly, "After a few times of waiting for Malik, I got impatient and just walked in. This isn't unusual for him. Every time that door is closed, he has his dick in someone's mouth," she laughs again as she turns and starts rooting through a dresser drawer, "though one will never know if they're going to see a man or a woman on their knees in front of him," she throws a wink over her shoulder at me and cackles some more.

Okay then. I'll still knock.

And if by chance Vlad lets us go outside to swim, she better be finding me a one piece from the 60's or I'm going to have a really bad night. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I refuse to get my hopes up.