Chapter Sixteen

Amaris

"Stop pushing me!" I'm fuming at this point.  I'm so sick of being manhandled.  My yells fall on deaf ears, one of the dudes gives me another harsh shove, for the seventh time. 

Maybe I'll get a chance to punch the prick in the nuts seven times.

I won't get my hopes up.

I barely stumble through the doorway before the door is slammed and the lock engaged.  Pacing around the bedroom I'm locked in, I realize I'm still only wearing skimpy lingerie.  Shaking my head, I drift over to the closet.  There isn't anything casual for me to choose from but it's better than prancing around practically naked.  I release a deep sigh and shimmy myself into a tight fitting, short red dress.  The dress is so tight I can't breathe properly.  This is probably a dress meant for Lina.  She's very petite. 

Sucking in a deep breath of air, I turn in time to hear the door open and close. 

Maye limps toward me with a tray and sets it down on the bed.  A smidge of guilt sparks in me for stabbing her in the thigh, but at the same time, she deserved it.  She never should've hacked off my hair.

"Eat," she ordered, tone harsh and angry sounding, then limped back to the door.  She quickly exited and engaged the lock on the door once again.  A girl can only dream that her new captors would forget to lock the door like the last ones. 

I wouldn't be that lucky twice.  I turn away from the door, looking at it pisses me off.  My stomach decides to break the silence and grumbles so loud that I would be embarrassed if anyone was around to hear it.  Lifting the lid from the tray, I'm grateful to see American style food instead of sushi or dog food even.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is what they'd try to feed me.

But I'm still apprehensive.  What if they poison it?  No. Kwan wants me alive, at least for now.  He won't make any money if he has me poisoned.  Still wary, I sniff the food before taking a small bite of the sandwich.  It tastes okay.  I guess that doesn't mean there isn't something in it though.  Maybe drugs to make me sleep?  I can't finish that thought though.  The door unlocks and another fucker stops in.

Kwan.

Smirking at me, Kwan approaches me slowly, like a cat stalking a little mouse.  "Care if I sit?" he sits before I can answer, his eyes studying me.  He notices the barely touched food and pushes it closer, as if he is making some kind of peace offering.  I scoff at that thought.

He arches a brow at me then says, "Let's just say, I hope neither party meets my monetary demands.  I think I would much rather keep you for myself.  I have plenty of money.  I have plenty of prostitutes bringing in more money than your mobster men can muster from their drug and weapon trafficking."  He laughs as he looks up at the ceiling.  He rubs his chin for a second before looking at me again.  "So what would you say to this, sweetheart?" Kwan places a hand on my thigh and squeezes gently.  I can feel goosebumps rise on my exposed skin, the fear and rage both bubbling just under the surface.

I clear my throat and take a drink of water before I shake my head at him.  "I think that's a shit idea," I brush his hand off my thigh, "Let's just say, I'd rather see you and your crew choke on some dynamite." I offer a saccharine smile.  He inhales deeply and looks away, shaking his head.

Kwan's hand strikes out faster than I anticipated.  He doesn't hit me, though I expected it.  He snatches my chin and yanks me forward slightly.  "You'd do well to watch how the fuck you talk to me," he shakes my face a few times, "your fate lies in my hands, whether you like it or not." He lets go of my chin and pats the top of my head like one would a dog before he stands up.  He heads toward the door but stops and turns to look at me one last time. "You will do yourself a favor if you behave and don't cause any trouble," he says pointedly, "and if you stab any of my people again...." he points two fingers at me and mimicked shooting a gun.  He backs out of the door with a sinister smile.