Chapter Twenty Two

Amaris

Once evening time came around, hours after Felix stormed out, I started silently brainstorming.

I will talk to Anna and befriend her, but I will need to make sure I go about it all in the correct way. I need her to trust me, even just temporarily. Even if it's for my own gain and I have to bring a shit storm down on her when the time comes.

She seemed to be genuine and truly wanted to help me. Eager, if anything. That should make it easier. Maybe I can get her out of here when I escape? She might be their blood, but she seems like she's only here because she has no other choice.

So, first things first...

Get my ass out of this bed and walk damnit!

I can feel every aching inch of my body, but I know I can get back on my feet again if I push myself enough. I welcome the ache though. It is so much better than the alternative...

I start small. I wiggle my toes, rotate my ankles, and mimic stepping patterns with my feet. I continue to do these repetitions for quite some time until I feel the burning sensations of my tired muscles and move up higher. After several hours of exercising my lower extremities, I can bring my knees up to my chest. With a deep, shaky breath, I force my body into a sitting position and dangle my legs over the side of the bed. The pain in my back isn't as intense as it was when Felix tried to get me up, but it is still rather tender. I rotate my neck a few times and stop as I hear the door open.

I turn to see Anna entering, rolling a cart in with her. She smiles as she approaches me. "You're sitting up! Did someone help you?" She glances around the room quickly then meets my eyes again. "I'm sorry it is so late. I got... held up. I brought some food and clean clothes. I can help you get into the bathtub if you'd like. I've only been giving you sponge baths while you were unconscious." Anna passes me a banana and some water. I down the water in one gulp practically, feeling completely parched. I lay the banana to the side, lacking an appetite at the moment.

"Nobody helped me. I just worked my strength up and forced myself up," I tell her as I grab her outstretched hand. A groan slipped out of me as she helped pull me to my feet, followed by a sharp gasp as she wrapped an arm around my back to help support me.

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! I'm not trying to hurt you, here let's-" she tries, but I shake my head and interrupt her.

"I'm fine, just help me walk please." She nods once, grabs the catheter bag, and allows me to push my weight into her. With her help, I manage to walk, very shakily at that, to the bathroom. I'm sure I resemble a newborn fawn.

Anna starts the tub and tosses some sort of bath bomb in. The scent is very soothing, and I close my eyes as I inhale deeply. "What is the fragrance? I can't quite pinpoint it." I pause and take another deep breath before sitting down on the edge of the tub.

"I'm not entirely sure. I found it in the cabinet. I think this was Vlad's sister's bathroom before-" she quickly stopped and glanced down. "I think there is lavender and vanilla but I'm not sure what else. Here, let me take that catheter out." I wonder why she stopped talking about his sister. Another question for another time I suppose. I don't want to pry too much so soon and create doubt. I need her to trust me completely and being nosey really won't help me in that area.

She makes quick work of deflating the catheter balloon and I breathe in relief as the catheter slithers out.

She's definitely done that before. I wonder how many people she nurses back to health.

"Well, it smells great, thank you so much for helping me." I smile and turn my back to her. I slowly disrobe and the weakness creeps in when I try to step into the tub. I'm too unsteady and shaky. Fuck, I need to get a grip on my beaten down body.