Chapter Seven

Amaris

The word 'auction' was stuck on repeat in my head as I somewhat allow Felix to roughly guide me through the maze of hallways.  My feet have a mind of their own and drag under me more so than cooperate.  I'm just waiting for my ankles to twist in these stilettos.

Inwardly, I kick myself.  I nearly groan aloud as I realize I haven't been paying attention to where this jerk has been leading me.   A smart person would have paid attention to their surroundings and attempted to commit them to memory.  Unfortunately my intelligence has flown right out the window.  Although, it isn't hard to miss how marvelous this place is.  I really wonder where I'm at.  Is this some hotel?  Perhaps a mansion belonging to Vlad and his Russian mobsters, which drops a lot of the appeal this beautifully crafted building holds.  What a shame.

Even though I have been guided along by the harsh tugging on my arm, I wasn't prepared to abruptly stop, slamming my face into Felix's hard body. My body is going to be broken and useless before the day is over.

I groan slightly, rubbing my nose.  "Ugghhh, can't you at least warn me when you plan on stopping?"  I glare up at Felix, his attention isn't on me, but on the men surrounding a large table in the room we have entered. The table is polished and a deep, rich mahogany color.  Fancy schmancy for a bunch of goons.  The men occupying the seats are all in expensive suits and look very dangerous.  Of course they all have a cigar or something they are smoking while tipping back alcohol.  How cliché.  Like they are mimicking a show straight from the bowels of all organized crime TV.  The head chair is occupied by none other than Vlad.

Oh, well, just perfect.

I hoped that I wouldn't see him again so soon but lucky me. 

He eyes me up and down, from head to toe and back up, pausing at my chest for too long.  His eyes snap to mine, clicks his tongue and motions for me to come forward with his hand.  I'm frozen in place momentarily from the obvious eye humping he just did before I slowly make my way over to him.   As soon as I approach his side, he pulls me into his lap and wraps a strong arm tightly around my waist.  I stiffen but I know there is no point to try and get away.  He is simply too strong for me to overpower and he will probably shoot me for sure this time.

Which might be the most ideal outcome for me honestly...

He returns his attention to the men surrounding the table, while I remain on his lap, my body rigid with unease as he strokes his thumb along my ribs.  His body is pressed so close to me that I can feel his voice vibrate through my back as he speaks.

Idle chatter stops as Vlad clears his throat, drawing all attention upon himself.  "Are all the preparations completed for tonight's events?"  I glance sideways and up at him, his eyes searching the men's faces surrounding the table.  His face lacks all emotion.  He's blank.  I find it more intimidating than when he was yelling at me and shoving a gun inside my mouth.

"Yes Don Penzkov.  Everything is in order and ready."  One of the men answer, his voice shaky a bit, almost as if he too fears his boss.  I can't blame him, the man is very frightening.

He nods, bringing his hand up and caressing my hair.  He moves my hair behind one shoulder and pauses.  I look at him as his fingers clamp firmly around the nape of my neck.  My breath stutters in my throat.  My body feels so cold that I can't help the trembling as it overcomes me.  I think I have to pee.  I might not be able to hold it and he would definitely kill me if I piss in his lap... unless fear kills me first.

"Perfect.  You all know the works.  All buyers need to know the code word sent to them to verify they received notice of tonight's events.  Untraceable accounts for wire transfers and cash only.  Be twenty minutes earlier than usual tonight.  Dismissed."  His eyes never leave mine, but I soaked up every word he said.  Chairs scrape the floor as Vlad's goons quickly disappear from the room.  Lucky them.  Can I leave too?