Chapter Twenty Seven

Amaris

As children, we are taught that it is rude to stare. We still do it. We even try hard not to, but inevitably, our eyes go back to what we shouldn't be staring at. That's what my eyes keep doing as I sit on the edge of the pool, my towel wrapped securely around my body, and my feet dangling in the warm water.

Anna is carefree and enjoying every moment of our time outdoors. I'm happy for her. But I'm uneasy. There's at least a dozen guards out here, and Felix is sitting at a table glaring at me while he drinks glass after glass of some dark liquor. I'm not sure what I did from the time it took to walk from Anna's room to the pool, but he's been pissed looking ever since her first cannon ball in.

A splash of water lands on my chin and chest, jolting my attention to Anna again. "Amaris, won't you get in with me? It's so warm and relaxing!" She's not lying. It is warm. I'm sure it would be relaxing; if I could relax here. No way could I let myself relax though. Not here. Ever. My guard needs to always be up.

Lifting a shoulder, I give her half a smile. "I can't swim with my contacts in. I'd lose them and I don't have anymore." I hope the excuse is enough. I don't feel like having my ass on display for everyone.

She twists her lips. "Nonsense. Vlad will get you more. Won't he, Felix?" She turned and swam toward her brother. When she neared the edge of the pool closest to him, she brought back both her arms. I knew what she was planning to do before she did it. It's a bad idea. He's sitting there in his fancy little suit. And he's easily three sheets to the wind. His hair has become unruly and that perfect suit of his is now unkempt, but pool water splashing his way is going to get her, and probably me, in trouble.

"Anna, wait-" and she did it. The amount of water she flung at him was impressive. She has been drinking too much. No way she would've done that sober, brother or not.

Felix glared at her. She raised her hands to her mouth as a fit of giggles burst free. A string of Russian flew from his mouth as he rose from his chair and pointed at her. He looked like a sewer rat. His hair was plastered to his forehead and hanging in his eyes, and his suit looked like absolute shit. The squeals of laughter increased in volume and I became horrified as I realized I, too, was laughing.

Felix raked a hand violently through his saturated hair and leveled his glare on me. He turned and spoke to Malik before storming off. If I ever dodged a bullet, I'd say it was now. Unless he's waiting to beat my ass later.

"Wasn't that exciting!" Anna splashed water at me and then towards Malik and every guard she could reach. She hopped out of the pool and grabbed a bottle of vodka. She flopped down next to me and took a swig before offering the bottle to me. I shook my head and pushed it back toward her. She shrugged and took several more gulps. We both glanced over at Malik, noticing he was taking off his wet suit.

Jesus.

I looked away, but Anna nudged my ribs with her elbow. A bit hard at that.

"Damn, that hurt, what was that for?" I rubbed at the sore spot for a moment and took her in. Her eyes were so bloodshot and glazed over, and she swayed as she sat. She doesn't need to drink anything else nor go back in the pool. "Maybe you should quit drinking for a while." I reach for the bottle, but she pops my hand and jerks the vodka away.

Anna stands and stumbles then shoots me a glare. "I only wanted you to... to watch Malik... strip," she slurred, "you don't have to act m-m-mean and all goody g-g-good." she stammered through her words. How did she go from what seemed to be drunk yet functioning to... unstable?

I stand and start to reach out for her, she slaps my hand away and marches over to Malik, who is now in just some boxer briefs. At least he isn't nude. He looks relaxed and much easier to approach, so I head towards them.