Chapter 37 - overwhelmed

"His wife, you?" Ontari said with a smile looking straight at Clarke.
Clarke was confused and hurt. What the hell does she mean by she's his wife?
"Get out Ontari, that alliance was set a long time ago" Roan said as he continued eye contact with the woman.
"What?" Clarke said as she looked right at Roan who didn't look back.
"But the alliance was never broken... plus, we had our good times together..." Ontari smirked.
Clarke looked angry. What is she saying?
"That was before I was king, and I banished you from the moment I wore that crown Ontari" Roan says blankly.
"Your mother set that alliance and our governors agreed to it. Even though you are king, you still have to marry me. That's the law" Ontari told.
Roan looked at Ontari with anger in his eyes before Echo went and whispered in his ear.
"Sire, this is for the best... this is the best for Azgeda. You must fulfill your mother's wishes" Echo whispers so close to his ear that her lips brush against his earlobe.

Clarke sighs as she looks at Roan.
"Roan, may I talk to you in private" She says calmly trying to contain her anger.
"Yes, excuse us" Roan says as he takes Clarke into the other room.
Once the doors were shut and they were alone Clarke looked at him.
"Who is she?" Clarke asked serious.
"She's my... wife. If you wanna say that. We were set up for an arranged marriage when I was 16" Roan told.
"And you never told me about it?" Clarke said crossing her arms.
Roan sighs looking away.
"I didn't think that she was going to show up again" Roan whispered.
"Yeah well when the alliance hasn't been broken you would think that she would" Clarke argued

Roan grunted as he looked away.
"I banished her from Azgeda so I thought that she wouldn't dare to come back" Roan tells her.
"A banishment doesn't stop an alliance Roan!" Clarke yells upset with him.
"Lower your voice" Roan whispered.
Clarke scoffed as she looked away from him.
"Look, I'm sorry ok? But I swear to you I will handle this" He takes her hands in his.
"How are you going to break an alliance that was set years ago when all of your governors agreed to it?" Clarke asked concerned.
"I'm a king Clarke, breaking an alliance won't be a problem" Roan tells her with a truthful look.
She sighs as she doesn't look in his eyes.
"Just figure it out, I need some air" Clarke says as she walks out of the room.
"Clarke!" Roan yells as she shut the door.
He sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair.

Clarke rushed out the tall glass doors, she tried to make it out of there before someone grabbed her wrist and pulled her into a corner putting their hand over her mouth while shushing her in her ear.
"Sh shh Clarke.." the man's voice was familiar.
Clarke hushed confused as the hand was off her mouth. He slowly pulled his hand away as she turned around to see Bellamy.
Clarke looked shocked as she looked at him in his eyes, he had no look on his face that looked angry or anything like it did when she saw him stab Roan. He had such a hateful look back then...
"What do you want Bellamy" Clarke asked stern.
"I heard about... the alliance, and the argument" Bellamy told soft.
Clarke looked at him kinda surprised and a little suspicious but she didn't say anything.
"I'm sorry" he spoke truthfully.
Clarke looked back up at him and into his brown eyes wondering what he wanted but she couldn't seem to make it out herself.
"Why are you here Bellamy? After all the arguments and accusations you've decided you wanna turn soft?" Clarke asked strong and betrayed.

Bellamy sighed looking down.
"No I... I know I was wrong and hurtful. I don't know who that man was back there ok? I just knew I needed to apologize to you" Bellamy said.
"Yeah well... you stabbed the man I loved so... sorry doesn't really fix that" Clarke spoke quiet as her words trembled.
"Clarke... I don't wanna be a prude but... well I know you love him but are you... are you sure he loves you?" Bellamy asked with caution as Clarke immediately saw red.
"Excuse me?" Clarke said pissed.
Bellamy stepped back before speaking again.
"I'm just saying, why would you banish someone you didn't wanna marry but not break the alliance? And if they have known each other as kids then-" Bellamy got cut off.
"Wait wait wait! They we're friends as kids? What- how do you know this?" Clarke asked.
"Look I know what I need to know and I'm just trying to look out for you-" Bellamy tried to say.
"Look out for me? Your looking out for me by telling me that the man I love doesn't love me? Yeah that sure does sound like that Bellamy, especially from someone that was my best friend" Clarke said loud and overwhelmed.
Bellamy sighed.
"Clarke I..."
"No. No don't speak to me again" Clarke said holding back the tears that were ready to spill as she ran away from him and went into the forest outside of Azgeda's walls.

Not looking back...