Chapter 3

“Bro,” Lo’ak whispered hurriedly, following Neteyam outside. “When did you manage to fight Ao’nung?”

Neteyam sighed, grabbing his brother by the arm and leading him further, out of earshot. He did not want their father to know he was still letting his violent tendencies get the better of him when it came to Ao’nung. “Last night.”

“At night?” Lo’ak’s surprise was undisguised as he stared up at his brother with wide eyes. “What were you two doing outside at night?”

“I was trying to relax,” Neteyam mumbled. “He showed up looking for trouble.”

“So you decide to punch a new bruise onto his face?” Lo’ak snorted, shaking his head. “Bro, you almost got caught and it hasn’t even been a day.”

Neteyam rolled his eyes. “Whatever, bro.”

Lo’ak fell silent, searching his brother’s gaze before he stepped closed and placed a hand on over the nail-marks decorating Neteyam’s leg. “He did this during the lesson didn’t he?”

Neteyam grabbed his brother’s wrist and yanked it away silently.

“Why is he touching you there?” Lo’ak deadpanned, not fazed by his older brother’s clear annoyance. “Bro, you have got to tell him to stop. It’s weird.”

Neteyam took a deep breath – he did not want Ao’nung to stop. “Why is it weird, Lo’ak?”

“Because why would he touch your leg?” Lo’ak glared. “He’s not even being nice about it! He’s hurting you, bro. There’s no way he doesn’t know only mates—”

“Lo’ak, shut up.”

Tense silence fell over them as the two brothers stared each other down. “I was sitting on the ilu wrong.”

Lo’ak bared his fangs in warning. “Tsireya does not touch my leg like this.”

Neteyam’s eyes narrowed before he shook his head and turned to walk away.

Neteyam wandered the tropical forest of Awa’atlu by himself, pride wounded. He could still clearly picture Ao’nung’s teal hand on his dark blue thigh, a deep contrast between them.

There had been times back in the forest when Neteyam let fellow Omaticaya run their hands up his thigh, hidden in the forest, away from prying eyes, slipping under his loincloth. He especially let himself carried away after he completed his iknimaya, hiding in the darkness, pleasured sounds disguised by the sounds of drums and singing as the people celebrated his successful completion of their traditions, unaware that he had long since disappeared.

Neteyam sighed, shaking his head – he took a mental note to stop doing that lest someone might see and deem him crazy for the silent conversations he had with himself.
Much to his delight, Ao’nung did not find him that night; Neteyam enjoyed wandering around the forest, discovering the differences.

When he returned home, he spotted Kiri waiting for him outside. He walked up to her and patted her head, making her roll her eyes. She took his hand and led him inside, silently stepping over Lo’ak, who had managed to somehow end up sprawled out in the middle of the marui, blankets scattered all over. Neteyam was grateful for Kiri, knowing he would have stepped on Lo’ak by accident had she not been there to guide him.

When it was time for their next lesson, Lo’ak pulled him aside to whisper hurriedly to him in English, ignoring Ao’nung and Tsireya’s baffled looks.
“Bro, if you want, I can switch with you. He doesn’t have to teach you.”

“I appreciate it, Lo’ak, but I will be fine.” Neteyam patted his brother’s shoulder before walking over to Ao’nung, who was glaring at Kiri’s retreating back – she was already leaving to explore on her own.

“Why do you speak that demonic language?” Ao’nung glared down at the forest na’vi, making Neteyam snort out a quiet laugh.

“You think I only speak na’vi?” Neteyam grinned coyly, staring back at Ao’nung, bold. “That language is my father’s mother tongue as it is mine.”

“Yeah, right. I bet you suck at it.”

“You wish I would suck,” Neteyam grunted, pushing on Ao’nung’s chest, smirking at the way the taller na’vi’s ears twitched. They strayed quite far from the others; they were already training, Tsireya visibly giggling at Lo’ak’s clumsiness.

Ao’nung glared, baring his fangs. “And swallow.”

Neteyam blinked in surprise, taking a step back before he sneered, turning to walk away. Ao’nung grabbed his arm and yanked him back. “No. You learn now.”

“I’d be better off learning without you.”

Ao’nung called for their ilu, choosing to ignore Neteyam’s words, smirking in satisfaction, knowing he had won this fight. Perhaps he could not beat him in a fight, but Ao’nung could be very cruel with his words. Tsireya had often called him shameless when she heard him boasting to his friends about his nightly adventures.

“Sit how I showed you or I will—”

“You what, fish lips?” Neteyam cut him off. “Going to grope me again?”

Ao’nung blinked, mouth falling open before he rolled his eyes in obvious annoyance. “I did no such thing.”

Neteyam bit his tongue, keeping silent. He knew quite a few things he could have said to Ao’nung to embarrass him, but they would have reflected badly on him. Neteyam did not want Ao’nung to misunderstand him.

“I speak more than just English,” Neteyam admitted after a while, watching Ao’nung’s face carefully.

The Metcayina frowned. “That’s what it’s called?”

“Yeah,” Neteyam sighed in disappointment. He at least expected Ao'nung to know what he was hating on. “Earth has tons of languages—”

“Yeah, and I don’t care, forest boy.” Ao’nung splashed him with water, making Neteyam yerk back in irritation. “Learn our sign language instead of being a useless little freak.”

Neteyam exhaled deeply, trying to keep his rising anger in check. Neteyam had been trying to learn, but if Ao’nung was absolutely awful at teaching him how to ride an ilu, then there were no words to express just how horrible and impatient he was when trying to show Neteyam how to sign things. Neteyam bit his lip and turned away, ready to walk home when Ao’nung grabbed him again. This time, Neteyam was not so kind. He turned around, pulling his arm free and grabbing Ao’nung by his queue, spinning the Metcayina around and slamming him against a rock, making Ao’nung bend forward with a pained groan.

Nobody was nearby.

Neteyam pressed himself flat against Ao’nung’s back, hissing in his ear. “Must you provoke me, fish lips?”

Ao’nung struggled under him, but Neteyam only held on tighter, chest pushed against Ao’nung’s back. “Let go, freak!”

“Why?” Neteyam sneered. “Can’t break free without your daddy’s help?”

Ao’nung tensed before turning around, yanking himself free and slamming into Neteyam, tackling him into the water, twisting one hand into the Omaticaya’s braids, making some of his beads fall off as the little hair ties snapped form the force of Ao’nung’s pull.

Neteyam inhaled a mouthful of water as he gasped from the pain in his scalp. He struggled as Ao’nung held him underwater; the Metcayina was stronger than him in the ocean. Neteyam knew he likely did not stand a chance, but that did not mean he would not try.

Neteyam had no way to pull back, so he lunged forward, sinking his teeth into Ao’nung’s shoulder, making the Metcayina let him go and kick him away, foot slamming into his stomach.

Neteyam tasted blood.