Chapter 23

Neteyam woke up early, he was the first in his family to open his eyes one morning. A soft chirping sound had disturbed him and filled his heart with warmth all the same. Rawvì was perched on his choker that he had taken off for the night, tapping a claw against his bead to draw Neteyam's attention to himself. The tiny creature stood proud, twittering quietly.
Neteyam turned on his side, propping his head up with a hand, smiling fondly. With his free hand, he signed to the creature in greeting.

Lo'ak groaned from behind him, sprawled out with his limps stretched in every possible direction, hair unbraided and scattered in a mess around his head, covering his nose and eyes as it fell over his soft, relaxed features. It had been a week since Kaey's injury. Neteyam did not tell his family what he had done and asked Tsireya and Ao'nung to keep it a secret in front of his siblings as well.

Neteyam guided Rawvì onto his hair, turning to face his brother and pulling him into a warm embrace, caressing Lo'ak's head, massaging his scalp with tender movements. The younger Sully murmured something in his sleep, snuggling closer to his older brother happily. Neteyam drifted off, heart fluttering in happiness.
When he woke up the next time, Lo'ak was already awake, watching his face curiously, a silent question in his wide, golden eyes.

Neteyam turned to face him, eyes blurry with sleep. He smiled, placing a hand on his brother's cheek, caressing the skin gently. Lo'ak twitched. He snuggled closer to Neteyam, hiding his face in his brother's chest, basking in the warmth. They were alone in the marui. A peaceful silence fell over the two brothers as they held each other, heartbeats merging.

"Neteyam?" Lo'ak whispered against his skin.

"What is it, baby bro?" Neteyam smiled, placing a hand on the back of his brother's head, caressing his soft, loose hair.

Lo'ak audibly swallowed, body tensing with nerves. He shuffled around a little before settling down again, arms and legs wrapped securely around his brother's body. "Will you keep a secret for me?"

"Of course, baby bro. What is it?"

Lo'ak cleared his throat. "I was with Tsireya yesterday."

Neteyam hummed. "And what did you two get up to?"

"No, bro," Lo'ak mumbled, voice shaky. "I was with her–"

Neteyam blinked in surprise, lips parting in a noiseless gasp. "You slept with her?"

Lo'ak nodded against his chest, holding on tighter, as if afraid his brother might vanish any second. Neteyam grinned, ruffling his hair. "Good for you, baby bro."

Neteyam walked along the bouncy roads with ease, a light flutter in his heart. He was on his way to check up on Kaey when someone grasped his arm, keeping him from stepping into the marui.

Neteyam frowned, turning to face his disturber; his eyes widened when he noticed who it was. "Ao'nung? What are you doing?"

Ao'nung's heart was squeezing painfully in his chest in jealousy, but he hid his true feelings with a coy smirk. "Baby tail, I want to show you something. Are you busy?"

Neteyam sniffed once – his visit was supposed to be a surprise anyway. Curiousity got the better of him. "No, I can come with you. What do you want to show me?"

Ao'nung grinned boyishly and his grip slid down Neteyam's arm until he was holding the forest na'vi's thin wrist in his large hand. "I'm not going to tell you. It's a surprise."

Neteyam raised a brow as he let Ao'nung pull him along the village, towards the ocean. "Surprise? By you? I hope you don't plan to leave me beyond the reef as well."

Ao'nung scoffed, cheek tinting red. "No– I would never do that again. This is completely different. We aren't allowed beyond the reef right now anyway. Father banned everyone until he is sure there are not so many akula there."

"There is more than one?" Neteyam asked softly, bare feet sinking into the warm, golden sand as he walked beside Ao'nung. 

The Metcayina heir nodded solemnly. "Yes. Naìtvì reported ten of them. It is mating season."

Ao'nung did not miss the way Neteyam perked up upon hearing the warrior's name; the Metcayina swallowed thickly and ignored the pang in his chest in favour of the nervous excitement bubbling in his core. He wanted Neteyam to like him as he liked Naìtvì — Ao'nung was worried. He knew there was no way for the Omaticaya to be mated with Naìtvì or Kaey, but it still scared him. Ao'nung felt the love the warriors held towards Neteyam, how they absolutely adored him. It showed in the way they looked at him and in their tender touches. What hurt the most was how Neteyam did not pull away – he did not set boundaries the same way he did with Ao'nung.

"Are you okay?" Neteyam asked gently, tilting his head to the side, exposing his bare neck. Ao'nung's gaze lowered to the skin there, noting that Neteyam was not wearing any accessories, not even his usual armband.

Ao'nung blinked slowly before nodding slowly. "Why wouldn't I be, forest boy?"

Neteyam flicked his tongue over his lower lip and smirked coyly, exposing his throat further; Ao'nung stumbled back a step, letting go of Neteyam's wrist as the the Omaticaya reached up and pulled his braids to the the side, over one shoulder. "You're awful at nicknames, Nungie. You're never going to woo me if you carry on like this."

Ao'nung frowned, averting his gaze. "Do you want me to woo you?"

Neteyam snorted out a startled laugh, making Ao'nung snap his head up, staring at him with wide eyes, confusion clear on his features. "Oh, Ao'nung. You stuttering fool. I cannot believe you would be so blind."

Ao'nung bared his fangs, ears pulling back in obvious hurt at the other's words. "What are you saying?"

Neteyam stepped up to him, placing a hand on his shoulder, by the nape of his neck. " Nungie, I would like to be yours one day if you can prove that you won't hurt me."

Ao'nung pulled away, fear tearing into his chest mercilessly and he felt like the air had been punched out of his lungs. The ocean na'vi inhaled shakily before looking away once again, tail swishing around wildly behind him, stirring up the sand slightly as thought he was the wind himself. "I could never hurt you. I never meant to, Neteyam."

"So show me," the Omaticaya smiled, sensing Ao'nung's distress. He held his arms out. "I am yours for the taking."