Chapter 4

Neteyam's head broke through the water's surface and he gasped for air, spitting out the blood and water from his mouth. Ao'nung resurfaced a mere second later, grasping his shoulder and sneering at Neteyam.

"What the hell, freak?!" Ao'nung shouted, reaching out and grabbing Neteyam's arm, yanking him closer. Neteyam's stomach ached with the force of Ao'nung's kick. He stumbled forward, grasping Ao'nung's shoulders.

"Let me go–"

Neteyam pulled back, rubbing the skin where Ao'nung had grabbed him. He managed to free himself before he hurried out of the water and ran all the way home. He burst into the marui, breathing heavily and sighing in relief when he saw no-one inside.

He sat down on his sleeping mat, placing a hand on his stomach, trying to will away the coiling heat in his core.

For the next few days, Neteyam avoided Ao'nung like the plague. He lied to his father, pretending to go to the lessons when in reality he was wandering around the forest. Every time he even thought about going to the lesson, he felt his anger rising.

The next time he saw Ao'nung, Neteyam could not help scowling. Neteyam was walking along the beach, collecting shells; the Metcayina was staring at him. He had a noticeable bitemark on his shoulder. It was bruised and healing. Neteyam wondered if he had told his family the truth about the mark.

Ao'nung rolled his eyes before marching over to the Omaticaya and dragging him away a little further from the people. Neteyam did not resist, wanting to know what Ao'nung wanted.

"What is your problem?" Ao'nung hissed near his ear, making it twitch. He stopped walked, standing close to Neteyam. 

Neteyam scoffed, pushing at Ao'nung's shoulder. "My problem? It's you. You're my problem."

"Me, huh?" Ao'nung smirked, crowding Neteyam against a tree.

Neteyam blinked slowly, calm. He stared up at Ao'nung. "Yes, you."

"Why am I your problem?" Ao'nung whispered in his ear, watching it twitch before pulling back completely. 

"You look way too proud for someone who I beat up twice." Neteyam smiled, but it did not reach his eyes. His golden eyes watched Ao'nung's face, disgust taking over him.

Ao'nung merely chuckled. "Come on, baby tail. Don't be like that."

"Like what?" Neteyam asked as a frown appeared on his face.

Ao'nung's breath hit his face.  "All smug."

"I'm not." Neteyam smiled, now amused. Ao'nung was making him feel a million different things in just one short conversation. 

"Yeah?" Ao'nung whispered in his ear again. "Then why are you grinning like that?"

Neteyam shoved him off, smile falling into an unpleasant sneer. His head cleared and he stepped back. "You are so stupid. Leave me alone, fish lips. And stay away from my siblings. "

"No can do, baby tail," Ao'nung hummed, stepping back. The ocean na'vi raised his hands in mock surrender. "I have to teach them, remember?"

"Oh, fuck off, Ao'nung—" Neteyam breathed out, unmasked fury settling on his features. "You know what I mean."

The Metcayina chuckled. "Do I though? You never express what's going on in that head of yours."

"I do," Neteyam replied heatedly. "You are just not the person who I actually talk to."

"What?" Ao'nung snorted, tilting his head. "Was it some pretty girlfriend back in your little forest?"

"Boyfriend." Neteyam stared the other down boldly, setting forward a challenge between them.