Chapter 24

Ao'nung's mind went blank the moment Neteyam said those words. His brain stuttered, white noise filling his ears. "Do you mean that? But what about Naìtvì and Kaey–"

Neteyam placed his hand on Ao'nung's cheek, caressing the flushed skin gently. "Nung, I don't love them the same way I might grow to love you. I treasure them as they treasure me but it is not romantic."

Ao'nung inhaled deeply and nodded, letting his tense shoulders relax. "I would like to show you something now."

Neteyam grinned, excitement bubbling to the surface as Ao'nung took his hand, tugging him along into the water. He whooped loudly and Neteyam heard a creature cry out in response. Moments later, the calm surface of the water grew disturbed and Neteyam heard the flapping of wings and high-pitched squeaks. A trusak emerged from behind the rocks; Neteyam tilted his head in curiosity and stepped behind Ao'nung, unsure how these creatures behaved around strangers.

"This is Sene. He is my tsurak."

Ao'nung tugged Neteyam closer, grinning boyishly as his tsurak shrieked out what Neteyam assumed was a greeting. The creature flapped its wings to stay afloat.

"Would you like to ride alongside me?" Ao'nung asked softly, turning to face Neteyam. "Sene is tame when he is not in a battle."

Neteyam nodded, stepping forward. "His name is similar to my mother's previous ikran."

"What happened to it?" Ao'nung tilted his head, placing a hand on Sene's head.

"Seze was killed in battle by the sky people," Neteyam admitted softly. "Seze looked a lot like my ikran. They are the same shade."

Ao'nung nodded along to his words, ears perked up in interest. "Did you know Seze?"

Neteyam shook his head. "No. Though I was in my mother's stomach during that battle. She did not know yet."

Ao'nung blinked slowly in surprise. "Oh. You were already a warrior before your birth."

Neteyam chuckled softly. "That was the battle when my father led the people to victory against the sky people. It was happy and sad all at the same time. We lost many good people that day."

"I'm sorry," Ao'nung murmured, caressing Sene's head.

"Well, don't be," Neteyam smiled softly. "My grandfather passed not long before then, he also fell in battle. They were hard times. Father often tells me stories."

"He became Olo’eyktan when your grandfather fell?"

"No. My Mother's promised mate was the Olo’eyktan. They cut his queue."

Ao'nung cringed, face scrunching up in pain as he imagined what that might be like. Neteyam turned away, ears pulled back nervously. His parents had lost a lot of friends that year.

Neteyam allowed Ao'nung to lift him onto the tsurak, helping him adjust his pose with gentle hands on his body. Ao'nung bit his lip and decided to swallow his pride. "How is Kaey?"

Neteyam paused, lips parted in surprise. "Oh. It's nice of you to ask. His spine has healed but your mother advised him to stay lying down for another week."

"Do you —" Ao'nung breathed out. "Do you help him?"

"Kaey?" Neteyam tilted his head in question before a smile fluttered onto his face. "Of course. Kaey doesn't speak much but he was there for me during my struggles."

Ao'nung settled onto the tsurak, sitting behind Neteyam. He made the bond with the creature gently and placed a hand on Neteyam's hip for support. "I'm sorry I was mean."

"Hush, Nungie," Neteyam chuckled, adjusting the way he was sitting until his back was pressed flush against Ao'nung's chest. "Stop apologising. Focus on the present now. Maybe the future."

"Okay. You ready, Sweet Berry?" Ao'nung smirked, tightening his hold on Neteyam's hip. When Neteyam nodded, the tips of his ears tinted red, Ao'nung instructed Sene to ride forward, flapping his wings until he was flying above the water. Neteyam watched the creature, placing a gentle hand on his head, earning a squeak. Neteyam leaned his head back, resting it on Ao'nung's shoulder. His eyes fell shut, enjoying the familiarity of the blowing wind on his face, tugging at his hair, making his beads click together quietly.

Ao'nung flushed, swallowing thickly and ignored the speedy rhythm of his nervous heart. He bit his lip, instructing Sene to fly as high as he could  — which wasn't too high, but it made Neteyam grin in delight all the same, golden eyes blinking open as he held his arms out to the side, trusting Ao'nung to keep him from falling.

Ao'nung whispered a question in Neteyam's ear, smiling as it twitched from his hot breath. Neteyam turned his head to look at Ao'nung, nodding slowly. Ao'nung leaned forward, pressing down on Neteyam, making the boy lie with his chest pressed to the tsurak. It was a thight fit, but neither na'vi minded. Though, Ao'nung would sooner die than admit his heart was ready to jump out of his chest from nerves.

Together, they sunk under the water, inhaling deeply before their heads disappeared into the deep blue oceans around them. The tsurak swam languidly, drawing patterns with his moves, twirling in circles, ducking under coral reefs.

Neteyam tapped Ao'nung's thigh and pointed to the surface. Ao'nung nodded and guided Sene to resurface. Neteyam's happy eyes fell upon Ao'nung's pale blue gaze as he twisted in his hold. "This is nice, Nung. You're nice."

Ao'nung choked, thrown into a fit of coughing as Neteyam pressed a kiss to his chin. They dismounted the tsurak after a while, swimming to the shores and lying side by side in the warm sand, basking in the sunlight. Neteyam placed his hand over Ao'nung's tenderly, caressing the soft skin. Ao'nung's breathing slowed, but he did not drift off to sleep.

"Nung," Neteyam spoke up, voice unsure. "I will be meeting Naìtvì later tonight. Is that — are you okay with that?"

Neteyam did not have to say it, Ao'nung realized what the forest na'vi was implying. He turned on his side, placing a hand on Neteyam's cheek. "You can go. I know you care for him and I won't keep you away from people who make you happy."

Neteyam shuffled closer, ghosting his lips over Ao'nung's.