Chapter 28

Neteyam was determined to not give in to his desires, but it was hard. Especially when Ao'nung looked so good hunting for their food.

Sure, the Metcayina brought fruits and some small fish, but it was not enough for two whole days.

Neteyam could not stop staring at Ao'nung's muscular form, lips pursed and cheeks heated.

The Krìdril in his hair chirped.

Neteyam sighed. "Yeah, I know."

Just then, Ao'nung successfully speared a large fish; Neteyam hurried back inside their little cavern, patting his own cheeks worriedly, trying to will away the blush.

Neteyam has never been so interested in another male before (or female, he is not too picky). He did not know how to handle himself but he wanted to honor the courting traditions.

Ao'nung walked inside after a while, smelling like salt water and a little bit like fish. Neteyam did not mind, the fish of Awa’atlu hardly smelled half as strong as the ones back home in the forest.

"Ao'nung," he perked up, turning to face his future mate, ears pointed his way.

Ao'nung paused in the entrance, blinking in surprise. "Yes? What is it?"

"What comes after spending two nights together?" Neteyam asked curiously. His tail swished around behind him and the crab in his hair twittered in agreement.

Ao'nung snorted, shaking his head and walking to the baskets of fruit, rummaging for the correct herbs. Neteyam decided to busy himself by setting a small fire just by the entrance.

"After two nights, " Ao'nung hummed. "You can decide werher or not you want to put up with me dor the rest of your life."

Neteyam nodded slowly. "And then?"

The Metcayina raised a brow, glancing his way. "Then we mate."

Neteyam pursed his lips. "No more gifts and rituals?"

Ao'nung bit back a smile, chuckling quietly. "I can give you gifts every day if you want. For the rest of my life."

Neteyam flushed, looking away. The fire sparked to life.

Ao'nung got busy preparing the fish, cutting out the bits they do not eat, removing the bones neatly, humming to himself. He worked fast and confident, having done this since he could hold a knife without hurting himself.

Neteyam, still flooded with desire, got up silently and hurried to the oceans, seeking the cold water and hoping it would calm his heart and his body. He was not used to waiting. It was strange, though not unwelcome. He just needed a moment by himself to calm down.

Ao'nung smirked, staying by the cave.

Neteyam returned, just as annoyed and flustered as he had been when he left.

"You know," Ao'nung began smugly, crossing his arms. "Just because we aren't mated, doesn't mean there is nothing we can do."

Neteyam froze, because Ao'nung was looking at him with such hunger in his eyes, that the young omaticayan male had no idea what to do but wait for the Metcayina to walk up to him. Alone in the cave, Ao'nung slowly lead Neteyam back against the cool surface of the furthest wall, enveloped in darkness except for the few glowing bugs on the wall. Neteyam let himself be pressed up against the wall. He breathed out softly and closed his eyes. He leaned up, pressing a soft kiss to the centre of Ao'nung's throat before lightly grazing the skin with his teeth. His eyes fell shut as he inhaled Ao'nung's familiar scent. The crab perched behind his ear squeaked, startled by the way Neteyam's ears twitcted. It scurried to a braid.