Chapter 6

“Why are you so interested in my sex life, Ao’nung?” Neteyam asked suddenly, face feeling awfully hot as he adjusted himself on his ilu.

“Why not?” Ao’nung chuckled, moving to correct Neteyam’s form on the creature. After the incident with their parents, he became a bit gentler and Neteyam was actually finally learning how to ride the ilu. “It is fun watching you blush.”
Ao’nung had been pestering him with questions about his time in the forest, asking Neteyam what it had felt like, who he was with. Ao’nung even went as far as to try and guess his role.

"Who is that?" Lo'ak asked suddenly, mouth hanging open.

"That is Naìtvì," Tsireya smiled. "He is one of our best hunters."

Neteyam perked up; he turned to watch the male with undisguised interest. It seemed he heard Tsireya's voice because the tall, tattooed Metcayina raised and arm in a friendly greeting which Tsireya returned.

“Wow,” Lo’ak breathed. “He looks like the best hunter, honestly. I wish that was me, what the hell. Bro, do you see that guy?”

Neteyam glanced at his brother before his golden gaze landed on Naìtvì’s muscular form again. Naìtvì had a friendly smile on his face as he pulled his fishing net from the water; the hunter was watching Neteyam with unconcealed interest.

“How old is he?” Neteyam asked, looking to Tsireya for a moment before his eyes found their way to the stranger’s handsome face. “He looks a little young to be the best.”

“He’s the same age you, Neteyam.” Tsireya grinned, happily noticing that the brothers were appreciating her people. “Father has trained him personally. A tulkun chose him as his spirit brother very young, so he got to try taming a tsurak before he was officially of age. The elders think he is a gift from Eywa.”

Kiri rolled her eyes, opting to watch Tuk splash around.

Naìtvì’s gaze trailed down Neteyam’s body; the Omaticaya noticed, straightening his back a little as his ilu wiggled around under him nervously, sending his fastening heartrate. Ao’nung snort brought him back to reality. “Whatever. He’s really not that great. You ready forest boy? Think you can make it five minutes before falling off?”

Neteyam sighed, shaking his head. He felt Ao’nung’s hand on his lower back. The young Metcayina had an unpleasant scowl on his face as he eyed Naìtvì with clear disdain. It did not go unnoticed. Naìtvì’s head tilted to the side as he watched Ao’nung, before his pale green gaze found Neteyam's again. While Ao’nung was too busy glaring at the male, Neteyam lifted his hand in a sneaky, risky sign. Naìtvì had caught his interest; it seemed he was also interested in Neteyam, because the young hunter smirked, recognizing the signs Neteyam had formed. He gave one short nod before turning back to the task at hand.

Ao’nung grumbled something before gesturing for Neteyam to ride. This time, when the ilu shot forward, Neteyam held on tightly, posture correct.

The next couple of days passed by in a blur. All Neteyam could remember was training, sleeping, doing chores and some more training. Things between him and his father seemed to have calmed down.

Jake seemed pleased with his improvement; one day, Neteyam saw his father watching as he trained with Ao’nung. Tonowari had been with him, nodding in approval.

“Hey, bro.” Lo’ak sat down next to him, patting his knee.

Neteyam turned to face his brother, head tilted in curiosity. A stray braid fell in front of his eye, making him close it as a couple of hairs tickled his eyelashes. Lo’ak snorted, amused.
Neteyam pushed the braid away, making his beads clink gently. It was still light out. “Lo’ak?”

Lo’ak glanced around, leaning closer to whisper to his brother when he deemed they were far away enough from their family to be having the conversation he had planned.

“I wanna ask you something, bro. But don’t get mad! I swear I’m not being mean.” Lo’ak held his arms up in surrender, a silly grin on his face.

Neteyam cringed. “What do you want?”

“Have you ever kissed someone?”

“Have you?” Neteyam asked, eyes wide as he stared into his baby brother’s blushing face.

Lo’ak’s ears twitched about nervously before he averted his gaze, nodding with a shy little smile on his face. “Yeah.”

“Here? A Metcayina?” Neteyam leaned closer, patting his brother’s head gently.
Lo’ak pulled back with a fake frown and a roll of his eyes. “Yeah.”

“Are you gonna just say yeah to everything I ask?”

“Yeah—” Lo’ak had a silly, far-away look in his eyes as he stared out towards the great blue ocean. Neteyam snorted, watching his brother’s love-struck face before wrapping an arm around his shoulder and pulling him into his side. “What was it like, baby bro?”

“Yeah, it was great,” Lo’ak sighed out, resting his head on Neteyam’s shoulder. “Well, as great as it can get, you know. Neither of us know how to kiss but it’s fine, right? I mean, we can just learn how to do it together.”

Neteyam chuckled fondly. He had an idea who Lo’ak had been frolicking around with, but until his little brother admitted it to him, he was not going to bother him about it anymore. “You will get to know each other’s bodies.”

“You didn’t answer my question,” Lo’ak replied suddenly, turning his curious gaze to his brother. “Did you have your first kiss yet, bro?”

Neteyam looked away, hesitating for a second before licking his lips and facing his younger brother; Lo’ak watching him in anticipation.
“You promise not to tell anyone? Not even Kiri or Tuk.”

“Okay!” Lo’ak nodded enthusiastically.  “I promise I won’t tell anyone, bro. Not a soul! Not even Eywa.”

“Pretty sure Eywa already knows,” Neteyam chuckled fondly, ruffling Lo’ak’s breath. Lo’ak agreed, snorting. “Okay. I’ve done more than just kissing.”

“No way!” Lo’ak gasped loudly, mouth hanging open as he gawked at his brother in complete wonder. “How much more?”

“Um,” Neteyam cleared his throat. “Everything?”

“But you didn’t bond, right?” Lo’ak gulped. “That is not part of the everything that you have done right?”

“No, of course not.” Neteyam chuckled, relief washing over him. “I have not bonded with anyone.”

Neteyam found it really quiet endearing how interested his younger brother was.