Chapter 14

Neteyam walked beside Ao'nung, just the slightest hint of a limp in his steps; if Ao'nung noticed, he kept his opinion to himself. The Metcayina did have questions, however, that he refused to keep quiet about.

Neteyam was just bending down to collect a large shell when Ao'nung cleared his throat. "What do you do with your lovers?"

When Neteyam looked up, he let out a loud laugh and straightened his back. He slapped Ao'nung's chest swiftly. "Why are you always so interested in my sex life, moron?"

Ao'nung eyes him with a furious blush coating his cheeks. "We are men. It is normal to share these stories with one another."

Neteyam thought for a moment before a playful grin settled on his face. "I'll tell you if you answer my question afterwards."

"What is the question?" Ao'nung eyed the Metcayina wearily.

Neteyam smirked, stepping closer to Ao'nung until their breaths mingled. "Now, what would be the fun in that if you already knew?"

The Metcayina stepped back hurriedly, accidentally dropping more than half of the shells he had collected. "Fine, I will answer your questions later."

Neteyam blinked curiously at the unusual expression on Ao'nung's face before he kneeled down in the sand, helping Ao'nung pick his fallen collection back up into the basket he carried.
"What do you want to know, Ao'nung?"

"How do you do it?" Ao'nung asked, fiddling with a shell. "You're smaller than them. I can't imagine you being on top."

"I take it." Neteyam smiled shyly, averting his gaze. His own cheeks dusted red. "They take turns."

"If someone else asked you to lie with them, would you accept them as well?" Ao'nung questioned carefully.

"A third person?" Neteyam hummed. He hesitated for a moment, wondering what Ao'nung's opinion on him would become if he answered honestly. "It depends on the person."

"So you might accept another person?" Ao'nung whispered in disbelief, eyes wide as he searched Neteyam's face for something.

Neteyam's nose twitched, and he averted his gaze before sighing softly. "I don't know. Nobody has asked me."

"Because they know you are with Naìtvì and they respect him," Ao'nung mumbled, ears pulling back in slight annoyance.

"They respect him?" Neteyam grunted, scrunching his nose in distaste. "And what about me?"

"You?" Ao'nung blinked. "What about you? I don't understand."

"They respect him, but what about me?" Neteyam asked softly, though his tail gave him away. Ao'nung could tell that the Omaticaya was putting on a mask that was slipping away. "They don't respect me? If it wasn't for Naìtvì, would they treat me differently?"

Ao'nung blinked, thinking about it for a second. "Most likely."
When Neteyam did not reply, understanding dawned on Ao'nung's features. "I see what you mean now. I want to apologise for the way I treated you. I know I made things hard for you and likely caused your father to argue with you. I didn't mean for that to ha—"

"Save it," Neteyam murmured, gaze hardening. He stood slowly. Ao'nung hurried to his feet, brows furrowed in confusion.

"No, wait, Neteyam. Let me explain, please–" Ao'nung fumbled around with his shells, followed after Neteyam as the Omaticaya began walking away.

Neteyam scoffed, throwing his basket of shells to Ao'nung carelessly. "What is there to explain? You're one of the people who don't respect me."

"That's not true!" Ao'nung yelped, barely dodging the attack of shiny, pointy shells. "I respect you! I know I was rude, but I was scared."

Neteyam stopped walking and turned to face the ocean na'vi. "Scared?"

Ao'nung nodded, lips pursed. Neteyam watched him, eyes running over the other's face, trailing down his body before making eyecontact again. Ao'nung watched him, eyes worried and shoulders tense.
"I was scared that you would bring your war with you."

Neteyam sighed as if tired even just by the mention of his past. He shook his head and took off, walking hurriedly again. He heard Ao'nung's sharp inhale before he felt a hand grasp his shoulder. When he glanced back, he was met with Ao'nung's pleasing gaze. The Metcayina parted his lips to speak, but he seemed to be struggling to find the words.

The forest na'vi shook his head, pushing Ao'nung's hand away. "Ao'nung, you were cruel."

Ao'nung's shoulders fell as he lowered his head, ears flat in obvious sadness. "I know. I didn't realize what it meant for you."

"That's an excuse. Lo'ak told you."

Neteyam left him there, annoyance slipping into his core as he made his way home. His family was inside the marui already; Lo'ak had placed his sleeping mat down, getting ready to sleep when he noticed his brother's annoyance.

"I thought you were collecting shells," his father's voice rang out, startling the anger out of him.
Neteyam frowned. "I didn't find any good ones."

"So you wasted the afternoon, my son?" Neytiri stepped up beside her mate; her voice was stern, but her eyes kind, wanting to understand rather than to punish.
Neteyam lowered his head in respect. "No, mother. I spoke with Ao'nung."

"With Ao'nung?" Jake tensed. "Neteyam, I told you to be careful with him!"

"Ma Jake!" Neytiri warned, brows furrowed. "Why should he be careful with Ao'nung? He is the son of Olo’eyktan. It is good if they speak."

Jake stared hard at Neteyam; the forest na'vi wondered how he could have possibly messed up this time. Ao'nung had not touched him. They genuinely had only spoken – though the topic was mainly inappropriate and not one he would ever admit to his father.
Lo'ak was watching helplessly as his brother's confidence slowly melted away the longer their father interrogated him. He dared not get in the way, knowing his words were misunderstood the last time Ao'nung had been a topic of their argument. Lo'ak did not want to harm his brother. He stayed silent, allowing Tuk to come over to him and hide her face in her brother's neck. Kiri shuffled over to them as well, confused by their father's reaction just as much as their mother was.

"Ao'nung has been touching him inappropriately."

Neteyam flinched back. Ao'nung had not laid a hand on him in weeks.
Neytiri’s lips pursed. "Ma Jake, our son is an adult. If he wants to, he may choose a mate. You are not the Olo’eyktan here, you do not need to worry about–"

"You don't understand–" Jake cut her off, placing a gentle hand on her upper arm. "I just want to keep him safe and pure for his future mate."

"Pure, ma Jake?"

"The same as we had been!"

Neteyam made a move to sit with his siblings, but his father grabbed his arm, keeping him from stepping away. Lo'ak's already outstretched arm fell down back to his side limply. Neteyam covered his face. He wanted this topic to never come up again. He was not dirty — it did not mean he was used or ruined just because he had been with others before he found his mate.

"Dad, I have already had sex."