Chapter 22

"Neteyam! It's Kaey!" Tsireya cried out in panic, running their way, followed by a familiar green-eyed warrior. Neteyam gasped, hand reaching out to grasp Ao'nung's upper arm before he hurried to his feet and rushed towards Tsireya and Naìtvì. Naìtvì's muscular form was covered in blood, but he himself did not seem hurt. 

"Tsireya! What happened?" Neteyam asked, placing a hand on her shaking shoulder as Naìtvì's arms came to wrap around him.

"Kaey was injured on a hunt. An akula attacked the warriors when they were with the hunters, helping them hunt for the festival and Kaey got hurt." Tsireya sobbed. She had known both Naìtvì and Kaey since she was little. Ao'nung was by their side in the next moment, clutching his terrified little sister in his arms, cooing in her ear to try and soothe her, but her crying only got louder, making Neteyam's heart pang painfully. 

Neteyam allowed himself to be pulled into Naìtvì's embrace, ignoring the blood and Ao'nung's frown. "Will he be okay, Naìtvì? What happened to him?"

Naìtvì inhaled shakily, eyes red-rimmed. "The akula bit him. By Eywa, it is a miracle he was not severed in half, but his spine is broken. He is with the tsahik right now, but even she fears she might not be able to heal him. My love, it is uncertain if he may ever walk again-"

Neteyam clenched his eyes shut, feeling tears burning behind his eyelids. A soft chirp disturbed him from his silent agony. "The Krìdril! Naì, he can help us!"
The creature was blinking quickly, swinging around on one of of Neteyam's braids, perched on a red bead. Neteyam took the Metcayina by the wrist, dragging him towards the tsahik's home. Ao'nung and Tsireya followed after them.

Tsireya's hushed voice directed a question to Ao'nung. "Neteyam has a Krìdril, brother?"

Ao'nung nodded, barely avoiding slamming into an elder. Tsireya yanked him out of the way just in time. She wiped her eyes roughly before hurrying along the bouncy pathways. Ao'nung winced as he saw Neteyam burst into the marui loudly. Kaey was lying unconscious, torso bruised and bleeding. His face, even as he lay comatose, was scrunched up in pain.

"I can help!" Neteyam wheezed out, startling Ronal into dropping her bowl of herbs, the dried leaves scattering everywhere. "Rawvì can help-"

Ronal bared her fangs. "Who is Rawvì?! Do you not learn anything here-"

"Mother, Neteyam is chosen by Krìdril!" Ao'nung stepped inside, swallowing his jealousy and dragging a pale Naìtvì with him. The warrior inhaled sharply as closed his eyes, turning away from his blacked out mate, chest heaving. 

Ronal watched the Omaticaya, eyes wide in disbelief. She hurried to him, pale blue gaze filled with wonder as she placed both her hands on Neteyam's cheeks, cradling his face. "You are chosen by Krìdril?" She whispered, searching his gaze for answers to a question that was a secret to Neteyam. "Where is this creature now?"

Neteyam turned his head, revealing the small pink crab tangled in one of his braids. The tsahik took a shaky breath and lowered her head in respect to the tiny but mighty creature. Rawvì clicked his claws. Neteyam allowed the tsahik to guide him, sitting him down by Kaey's side.

"His injuries are borderline fatal. He is bleeding on the inside and his spine is broken in three places under where his ribcage ends." The tsahik motioned her son over, instructing him to pick up the fallen herbs. Naìtvì walked over, numb. He stood behind Neteyam's kneeling form and placed a large hand on his shoulder, caressing it in his own comfort. Ao'nung's jaw clenched before he was distracted by his mother yanking him over, snatching the herbs from his arms. Tsireya stood by the entrance, hugging herself. Neteyam's heart broke at the sight, but he was busy. Ronal kneeled on Kaey's other side, facing Neteyam.

"I do not know how this works, tsahik." Neteyam guided the crab onto his hand and held him up, showing the small creature to Ronal.

Ronal nodded. "You must ask and the Krìdril will answer."

"The Krìdril call it nectar, little prince," Naìtvì leaned down, whispering in his ear.

Neteyam nodded and took a deep breath. He was about to speak, but Rawvì's claw was already lifted, golden liquid beading at the base of it, twinkling in the stray rays of sun seeping into the marui; the crab chirped a soft song, letting the droplets fall into Neteyam's upturned palm. Neteyam's freckles lit up, warmth filling him. His golden eyes landed on the tsahik's face. Ronal took his arm by his wrist, guiding it to hover of Kaey's limp body. Rawvì's song ended. The crab scurried up Neteyam's arm, settling on his shoulder.
Ronal dipped her fingertip into the nectar, smearing it onto Kaey's forehead. The warrior huffed out a pained breath, but he did not wake. 

Ronal guided Neteyam's hand, helping him smear the glowing liquid along Kaey's torso, painting the teal, bruised skin golden with a healing glow. The Metcayina tsahik uttered prayer after prayed, body rocking back and forth - Neteyam copied her movement instinctively. Ronal reached for her herbs, lifting a deep red flower, breaking its petals and placing them along Kaey's stomach along his glowing freckles. Neteyam watching in awe as the bruises began to fade rapidly. He knew the bones would take longer to mend - joy filled his heart as Kaey's toes twitched, curling in pain as the warrior blinked his pale eyes open. His dazed gaze fell upon Neteyam's face and Kaey smiled, silly and drugged by Ronal's herbs and the Krìdril's nectar.

"Little warrior," Kaey coughed, lifting an arm and placing his hand against Neteyam's cheek. He lifted his head - Ao'nung's hand came to support him, lifting the strain from his injured spine. Kaey looked down along his own body, puzzled by the sight, as if his memory failed him before realisation settled on his battered features. Ronal continued chanting to the Great Mother as her hands worked skillfully, trying to heal the warrior as best as she could with everyone surrounding him.

Naìtvì placed his on hand over the hand Kaey had placed on Neteyam's jaw. "You saved him, Neteyam."

Neteyam flushed at the attention, feeling uncomfortable to be seen being doted on by two men - Ronal ignored it, but Neteyam did not miss the way Ao'nung clenched his jaw, gritting his teeth, ears pulled back as he stared off to the side. Naìtvì watched the young ocean na'vi, a knowing twinkle in his eyes. Relief washed over the warrior akin to the way the ocean's waves lapped at the wet sand of the shore, making his mischievous. 

Neteyam, leand into Naìtvì's side, watching silently as Ronal finished the last of her ritual, leaned back and breathing heavily, forehead shining with sweat. Neteyam did not listen to a word the tsahik was saying to Kaey; all the Omaticaya knew was that Kaey was not allowed to sit or stand for two weeks even if his bones mended sooner. Neteyam did not feel worried. He knew he could always ask the Krìdril for help; his focus was on a heavily sulking Ao'nung. Neteyam rolled his eyes, sharing a look with Naìtvì. The Metcayina smirked down at him - had the tsahik not been in the room, he surely would have gotten handsy. Out of respect for both Ronal and Neteyam, Naìtvì kept his hands to himself and Kaey.