Chapter 26

To say that Jake Sully was mortified would have been an understatement.

He was alone in their marui with Neytiri, just sitting around and laughing when the chief's son burst into the room, eyes wide and looking just a little bit dishevelled, like he had run all the way here from the other side of the village.

He probably did.

Jake frowned, standing, his mate following his lead. She peaked curiously at the young heir from behind him.

"Ao'nung?" Jake asked carefully, noticing his oldest son pacing around just outside, fiddling with his fingers and avoiding looking inside the marui, almost as if he was scared of something he may find in there if he did.

Ao'nung took a deep breath, holding up an enormous, deep red shell, which he had filled to the point of almost overflowing with so many fruits. "This is for you."

Jake blinked in surprise. He was utterly lost. Had Tonowari sent Ao'nung to give them this offering? Neytiri inhaled sharply and covered her mouth with a delicate hand. A giggle broke loose from her throat.

Jake could only keep blinking rapidly. "What is this?"

Ao'nung shuffled his feet as Neytiri gently took the offered shell from his trembling hands. "They are– it's for– I would like to court your son!"

Jake felt himself go stiff. He said nothing for a moment before looking outside to where Neteyam was standing, frozen in place and looking absolutely petrified, having heard it all.

Neytiri’s smile was so bright as she carefully set the offering down on a table Jake had made them. "You wish to court my son?"

"Yes," Ao'nung whispered gently, tilting his head. He felt nerves eating at him the longer Toruk Makto did not reply. "If you would let me."

Neteyam took a shaky breath, still a safe distance away from the scene — until Jake gestured for him to come closer. He did, obedient as always. "What is this, Neteyam?"

Neteyam averted his gaze, feeling himself flush with shame. "Father, I –"

He tried to speak, but the fear of being rejected stole all the air from his lungs and tore his voice cords to shreds, rendering him speechless. Jake frowned, walking around Neteyam's body, inspecting him. He noted the way his son's hair was unbraided and brushed out carefully. His eyes fell on the flower in his hair before he turned to look at his mate.

Neytiri stared him down and he flinched. She picked that flower herself.

"Very well," Jake Sully muttered, turning to Ao'nung. The young heir straightened his back, lips pursed in anticipation. "You may court my son."

Ao'nung blinked in surprise before he collected himself. "Thank you, sir!"

Neytiri grinned, all teeth, as she hurried over to her oldest child, cradling him close. "My beautiful son, this is a most joyous day for all of us! We must celebrate."

"It's okay, mom–"

Neytiri waved him off. "No, this an important moment in your life. It must be treated as such."

Neteyam smiled, sharing a look with a relieved Ao'nung.

For the next few weeks, Neteyam woke up to gifts almost every single morning.

One morning, even the Olo’eyktan and the Tsahik came to visit them, spending the morning together, parents talking amongst each other as Neteyam and Ao'nung murmured to each other, huddled to the side.

Jake felt his heart soften.

Neytiri seemed aware that something was bothering her mate, but as she knew of Neteyam's former mistreatment, she decided to let Jake wallow in mystery for a while longer as her silent revenge.