Chapter 17

The next time Neteyam saw Ao'nung, the Omaticaya was lying around on the beach in shallow waters, letting the waves lap at his unbraided hair. Despite his mother's best efforts to knock some sense into his father, Neteyam still got grounded for being reckless. After a great deal of interrogations, Neteyam finally admitted that he prefers to be with men, rather than any of the women. Jake had been mildly annoyed, but after an angry glare from his mate, he let Neteyam off.

Since then, the cut on his lip had all but disappeared and the bruise on his cheek had faded to a barely noticeable dark blue patch.

Neteyam was basking in the sun, eyes closed when a shadow fell over him. He blinked his eyes open and spotted Ao'nung; the Metcayina was staring down at him, eyes full of question. Neteyam sat up, feeling the water pull his hair down. Ao'nung's mouth fell open on a silent gasp.

"Your hair is down, forest boy," Ao'nung whispered in disbelief. "Why do you never let it down?"

"Why?" Neteyam tilted his head as Ao'nung sat down next to him. "Do you like it?"

"I do," Ao'nung admitted, ears flattening in his usual embarrassment. They stared at each other for a few moments in silence before Ao'nung finally scraped the courage together to reach up and touch one of Neteyam's wet strands of hair. The forest na'vi watched him, mind wandering around aimlessly in his castle of memories. Neteyam had trouble understanding himself; he could not figure out what made him seek out Ao'nung after his argument with his father. Looking for comfort in Naìtvì's arms would have made more sense than running to the one man who caused him deep grief for months. 

Perhaps Neteyam enjoyed the dangers of Ao'nung – who, in that moment looked absolutely harmless as he blushed and avoided looking into Neteyam's eyes. But Neteyam knew exactly just how cruel the other male could be and it thrilled him. 

The young forest na'vi grasped the back of the Metcayina's neck and yanked him forward into a kiss. Ao'nung let out a sound of surprise, butterflies fluttering in his stomach as he hurried to grasp Neteyam's shoulders to not fall flat on his face.

Neteyam chuckled against Ao'nung's lips before pulling away. "Not so scary now, huh, fish lips?"

Ao'nung blinked in surprise before he registered Neteyam's words. Rolling his eyes, he grasped Neteyam's upper arms and tugged him into his lap, making the young na'vi sit with his legs on either sides of Ao'nung's hips. Neteyam smirked, tangling his fingers in Ao'nung's bun, tugging until the Metcayina's head fell backwards, making Ao'nung expose his throat with a low, nervous whine.

"You are being too loud," Neteyam murmured, ghosting his lips over Ao'nung's throat. "Someone will hear you, Nungnung."

"Nungnung?!" Ao'nung yelped in disbelief. He grasped Neteyam's hips, but the Omaticaya stood swiftly, walking away without another word, swaying his hips perhaps a little more than usual.

Ao'nung gaped after him.

Neteyam found himself looking for a familiar warrior or two. It had been over a week since he had last seen Naìtvì and Kaey. Naìtvì's familiar form was on a the beach, he seemed to be fishing. Kaey was sitting in the sand a little ways away, cutting up a fish as well, cleaning out the bits that would not be eaten. Neteyam smiled, happy little flutters filling him as he walked over to them. Kaey was the first to notice him. The young warrior greeted him, setting the fish aside and rinsing his hands in the water.