Chapter 16

Ao'nung blinked slowly, a hand placed on Neteyam's unbruised cheek, caressing the skin there gently with his thumb. The Metcayina hummed quietly, contemplating his next move carefully.

Neteyam swallowed nervously and rubbed his forehead with a shaky hand. "I'm sorry–"

"Stop apologising, baby tail." Ao'nung chuckled to himself and shook his head. He leaned down and lightly touched their foreheads together, heart fluttering in his chest happily. The tips of his ears turned red. "Why did you kiss me?"

Neteyam took a deep, shaky breath, attempting to will away the nervous cramp in his stomach. "I don't know, I — I wasn't thinking. I just did it."

Ao'nung chuckled quietly at the smaller male's unusual shyness. He cupped the back of Neteyam's head and bumped their noses together, breath mingling. "Well, do you like me, forest boy?"

Neteyam nodded slowly before ghosting his lips over Ao'nung's again. "I do. I don't know why. You're absolutely unbearable. "

Ao'nung blinked slowly before a silly grin settled on his face. "Right. Is that why you're kissing me? Because I'm so unbearable?"

"Yeah," Neteyam murmured softly against Ao'nung's lips, eyes half lidded. "Will you take things slow with me, Ao'nung?"

"Will you still see Naìtvì and Kaey?" Ao'nung asked instead.

"If you do not want me to, I will not see them anymore as anything more than friends."

Ao'nung shrugged, finally kissing him properly. "You can see them. It's am exciting image. Perhaps one day you should invite me along."

"You're accepting," Neteyam replied quietly,  a clear question in his gaze.

Ao'nung nodded, an amused half-smile on his lips. He let his hands fall to his sides. "Warriors often seek out warm bodies. It is normal among my people."

Neteyam smiled, having been told the same thing before. "I know. Are you just seeking me out too?"

"You kissed me first," Ao'nung smirked, laying down on his back, pulling Neteyam down with him. Neteyam adjusted himself, lying with his head resting on Ao'nung's chest, cheek mushed against the warm skin. Ao'nung's breathing slowed; Neteyam realized he was doing some sort of breathing technique. "I am sorry your father hit you. You should never be shamed for enjoying your body. It's perfectly normal."

"When did you become so kind?" Neteyam asked with a quiet laugh. He shifted, throwing a leg over the Metcayina's, feeling the soft skin of their thighs rub together.

"I am always kind," Ao'nung mumbled, ears pulling back in embarrassment. "I was jealous of your lovers."

"You were mean before I met them."

Ao'nung frowned, turning his face away. "I said sorry."

"I know you did," Neteyam murmured, placing a hand on his stomach, rubbing the teal skin there, laughing as Ao'nung's muscles twitched under his touch. "It's why I'm asking you to go slow with me." — I don't trust you yet — Neteyam let the words stay as they were, unspoken.

"Whatever you want, baby tail."

The next time Neteyam woke up, he was wrapped in strong arms. The sun was just setting, eclipse falling silently over the horizon. Neteyam heard the soft chirps of some ilu and nuzzled closer to the Metcayina lying under him, enjoying the quietness of the moment.  Ao'nung watched him, inhaled deeply. His face was relaxed, eyes tired, like he had just woken up too. There was a little crab watching them from a few steps away. Neteyam reached a hand out towards the creature, watching it hurry towards him – it stopped suddenly, many eyes blinking with twinkling curiosity. Neteyam smiled softly, patting the sand and turning his palm up. The crab hurried onto his hand, raising a tiny claw in warning. Neteyam allowed the little creature to threaten him before placing it on Ao'nung's chest.

Ao'nung blinked slowly before lightly poking the crab, hurriedly pulling his finger back when the little creature snapped its claws, trying to seem dangerous.

"I should head home," Neteyam murmured softly, pressing a kiss to the Metcayina's shoulder. Ao'nung frowned. "Will you be okay? Should I walk you home?"

"My mother is on my side," Neteyam mumbled. "My brother too. You know, my father is actually proud of him for having someone."

Ao'nung's jaw tensed. "My sister–"

"You don't need to get defensive. Lo'ak blushes himself silly whenever someone mentions her. He'd never do anything to hurt her." Neteyam's cheeks squished in a smile, laugh carried on the wind at Ao'nung's distress.

"So your father won't hurt you again?" They sat up slowly, Ao'nung moving to cup his cheeks, rubbing a tender finger over the bruise on Neteyam's soft skin. "Are you sure?"

Neteyam avoided looking into the other's eyes, stomach fluttering wildly both from the overwhelming gentleness of Ao'nung's touches as well as the looming dread of having to face his father. "If he's not alone with me, then I will definitely be fine."

Ao'nung sighed, as if exhausted. "But if you are alone? What then?"

"Let's not think about it."

Neteyam stood slowly, taking Ao'nung's hand in his and tugging the taller male to his feet. The Metcayina let himself be guided towards the maruis wordlessly. He held into Neteyam's hand, tangling their fingers together, marvelling at the sheer difference in the size of their hands. Neteyam was barely his mother's height. Ao'nung watched the Omaticaya’s back as Neteyam led him towards his family's marui.

Neteyam stayed out of sight, stopping not far from the entrance, hidden by a palm-like tree. The young forest na'vi turned to face the Metcayina, smiling up at him. Ao'nung's heart panged at the sight of the wound decorating Neteyam's lower lip. If Neteyam noticed the sympathy, he said nothing, listening for any signs of having been spotted before he lifted his hand, pulling Ao'nung closer by the back of his neck. Ao'nung closed his eyes and leaned down, ghosting his lips over Neteyam's, a hand coming to rest on the slim, dark blue waist, tugging the smaller male closer. Neteyam allowed himself to be pulled into a tight embrace, smirking as he bit into Ao'nung's lower lip, nuzzling the skin with his front teeth. Ao'nung exhaled deeply, melting into Neteyam's touches.

The Omaticaya pulled away, eyes twinkling in mischief. His hand slid down, grasping the thick base of Ao'nung's tail, watching the teal skinned na'vi's eyes widened as his breath hitched.

"You are such a tease," Ao'nung grumbled, cheeks dusting in a blush. His ears flattened in embarrassment, the tips red.

Neteyam only laughed.