Chapter 5

Neteyam had to apologise. It felt utterly dreadful. His father did not need to physically drag him to the Olo’eyktan's marui. He followed on his own. Neteyam was not interested in pissing his father off further. He wanted peace – just not with Ao’nung. Neteyam actually enjoyed messing around with the other male. Ao’nung was entertaining when he was angry.

Tonowari was inside the marui with his mate and children. The sun was close to setting. The chief was sitting on a mat sharpening his knife. He looked up when he noticed a shadow fall over him.

“Jake Sully,” he frowned, noticing the annoyed look on the other man’s face. “What can I do for you? What is the problem?”

“My son came to apologise,” Jake stated, voice strong.

“What would he have to apologise for? He has done nothing wrong.”

“with all due respect,  you are wrong about that,” Jake grumbled, staring down at his son. “Tell him what you did, Neteyam.”

The young male took a deep shaky breath. “I fought with your son.”

“You fought with my son?” the chief turned to look at his oldest child. “Is this true, Ao’nung?”

Ao’nung only nodded, a hand coming to rest on his shoulder, hiding the bitemark. Tonowari sighed, shaking his head. He was used to his oldest child’s behaviour. Ao’nung always got into fights ever since he was a young child. It was no surprise that even as an adult he still did the very same thing. But the chief did not expect Jake’s oldest son to be the same. He would have assumed that the boy was more sensible and kinder. It seemed that Jake and his family were full of surprises.

Neteyam stared down at the ground in shame. He knew that he had disappointed not only the chief but his own father as well. He could care less what the other boy thought of him, but his father’s obvious disappointment hurt.

Neteyam inhaled slowly, trying to still the twitching of his tail. “I would like to apologise for my rash and irrational behaviour. I hope that you may find it within your hearts to forgive me.”

The chief stared at him for a moment before turning his pale blue gaze on his son. “Do you forgive him?”

Ao’nung hesitated. “I believe it was my fault, father.”

Tonowari’s silent question was enough to keep Ao’nung talking. “I was very rude because Neteyam is not very good at riding the ilu.”

“And you must fight him for such a small meaningless thing?” Ronal stood, coming to stand next to his son. She seemed absolutely disappointed in him. “Do you not understand that these children have grown up in the forest? This boy’s life has been completely different to yours. You make fun of him? You disappoint me. Have I raised you this way?”

“No, it is my fault, tsahik,” Neteyam said hurriedly, lifting his hands in a calming motion. “I should have worked harder. I am not as good as my siblings, they have been learning much faster. It is understandable that your son might be annoyed with me.”

Ao’nung frowned. He knew this was not the end of things, and he knew that the other boy was merely taking the blame but he did not mean it. Neteyam did not mean it like when he took the blame for his younger brother. He would never do that for Ao’nung. They were not friends; they were two strangers who were very different from each other, but their fathers have forced them to work together against their will.

Jake let out a tired sigh and grabbed his sons upper arm in a tight grip. Ao’nung wondered if it hurt. Neteyam flinched. “Let me deal with this one.”

The chief nodded before turning to his son with a tired exhale of air.

Inside their marui, Jake turned to his son, scowling deeply. “What were you thinking? Are you out of your mind? You fight him because he is impatient with you?”