Chapter 12

Neteyam left the marui early, knowing he would be able to catch Naìtvì just before the warriors and the hunters all took off in the early morning to find food for the meals.

Neteyam hurried to the beach, immediately spotting the one Metcayina he was looking for. Naìtvì was surrounded by his friends, but Neteyam did not recognise any of them. Kaey was not there.

Naìtvì watched curiously as Neteyam stepped up beside him. His friends smirked, crowding around Neteyam until Naìtvì held his hand up, staring them down in apparent disappointment. "Stop. What are you fools doing?"

Neteyam ignored the scene, his focus solely on Naìtvì. "Can we talk?"

Naìtvì nodded, scowling as his friends cooed after them, whooping and whistling loudly. Neteyam led him away, not at all bothered by the way the warriors had acted.

"Is something wrong?" Naìtvì whispered out his question once they were far enough. He seemed nervous, tail flicking around behind him.

Neteyam turned to face him. "Please, stop telling your friends what we do. I've been hearing it back."

Naìtvì was confused for a second before he nodded slowly. "You don't tell anyone? Not your siblings and not even Rotxo or Ao'nung?"

"Am I supposed to?" Neteyam chuckled, shaking his head. His thoughts trailed off to the chief's son before he sighed and concentrated on Naìtvì. "Ao'nung is the last person I would tell. He'd have a field day with that information."

Naìtvì blinked, not understanding Neteyam's English refence even though the young forest na'vi had translated it, speaking the words in their own shared language. "I assume it makes you feel bad that I told people?"

Neteyam licked his lower lip, noticing how dry his throat felt. "I wouldn't care, but my father is very strict. I don't want him to accidentally find out before I can tell him."

"This must be a difference in our culture. My father is proud that I know Toruk Makto's oldest son well enough to lie with him." Naìtvì placed a comforting hand on Neteyam's shoulder, squeezing gently. "I will stop. I will tell Kaey also. But this doesn't mean you no longer want to see us, right?"

Neteyam hummed, comforted that Naìtvì was understanding. He knew very well if this situation was with Ao'nung, the ocean na'vi would merely laugh in his face. "I would like to continue seeing you. Maybe not both of you at the same time."

"You did not enjoy it?" Naìtvì's head tilted to the side. "Did we hurt you?"

"No, you didn't hurt me, " Neteyam murmured, stepping a bit closer for comfort. "It was nice. It's just too much for me – well, maybe sometimes we can do it again, just not so often."

Naìtvì nodded along with the Omaticaya's words and placed his hands on Neteyam's cheeks, smiling down at him.

"May I kiss you?" Naìtvì whispered softly, pale green gaze searching Neteyam's golden eyes for something. Neteyam's lips parted, and he blinked slowly, stepping closer until they were chest to chest.

Neteyam closed the distance between them, lightly ghosting his lips over Naìtvì's. The kiss was soft, dry, and short. Nevertheless, to Neteyam, it was sweet. Naìtvì had a flush on his face when they pulled apart.

The forest na'vi left him there, walking home with light steps and a fluttering heart. His father and mother were not inside the marui when he returned. Neither were his sisters. Only Lo'ak was working on something. It appeared to be a necklace made with pale, shiny shells.

Neteyam stepped inside and took a seat next to his brother. Lo'ak inhaled his brother's familiar, comforting scent and nuzzled into his side. "How are you doing, bro?"