Chapter 27

Neteyam followed after Ao'nung, driven by curiosity.

They could hear the liveliness off the village; there was a celebration. Some of the youngsters just completed iknimaya. The Metcayina were singing, drums were beating fiercely and Neteyam could hear the occasional horn blowing — but mostly, he could feel the rhythm vibrating in the ground under his feet.

Neteyam had been dressed in Metcayina clothing for the occasion, white paint smeared on his nose and chin thinly. Beads and shells hung low on his necklace, a necklace Ao'nung had made himself as part of their courting rituals. A thin anklet decorated Neteyam's leg, shining gently underneath the starry night sky.

Ao'nung was painted like a warrior — one that he was.

Neteyam let his hair down, leaving a single braid on the side in front of his ear for the Krìdril to hang onto. The creature was quiet, not wanting to disturb the two young na'vi.

Ao'nung walked along the familiar paths with a bounce in his steps, humming along to the familiar songs of his people. He held Neteyam’s hand in his own gently – Neteyam wondered how Ao’nung managed to be so mean when they first met, if this is how he really was inside. A gentle soul ready to risk it all with Toruk Makto just for a chance to court his eldest son.
Neteyam had been so sure that his father would deny the request.

Ao’nung led him through the tropical forests, trying his hardest to stay steady as he climbed up.

Neteyam grinned, endeared by the efforts. He could see the armband he had given Ao’nung just the night before decorating the young heir’s arm, the beads shining in the night.

“Where are you taking me?” Neteyam murmured gently, watching Ao’nung glance back at him at the sound of his voice, mischief twinkling in his pale blue eyes.

The Metcayina merely smirked. “It is a secret.”

“But how can it be?” Neteyam smiled. “If you are taking me there.”

Ao’nung stopped walking, turning to face him fully, looking down at him coyly. “It is a secret because we are not there yet.”

Neteyam leaned up, pecking him swiftly. Ao’nung flushed.

Together, they made their way to the surprise destination. Neteyam trailed behind, mesmerised by the flora and fauna around him. He had never seen such plants before. This was a foreign part of the humid forest, one he had yet to explore.

Ao’nung stopped suddenly, pulling back some large leaves and grinning victoriously, revealing a cave’s glorious entrance. A faint light came from inside. “We are here.”

“What did you prepare, my love?” Neteyam asked softly, the endearment slipping easily from his tongue. Too busy inspecting this new, exciting location, he never notices the way Ao’nung scrunched his nose, ears twitching as he flushed.

“It is a part of the courting rituals.” He placed a hand on Neteyam’s back and led him inside the cavern. Soft blue lights illuminated the area as glowing bugs flew around languidly, chirping their songs. The crab in Neteyam’s hair chirped back in greeting, clearly excited. Neteyam felt his heart fill with love for all the living creatures around him, especially Ao’nung and the Krìdril.

The cavern was decorated with baskets of fruits and fish; there were baskets filled with wood and matches courtesy of Jake Sully.

“What happens here, Nung?” Neteyam asked, tilting his head. His eyes trailed over the many soft blankets in the middle of the cave, and the fluffy, very human looking pillows.

Ao’nung led him to sit down, wrapping a pale, beige blanket around Neteyam’s shoulders. The temperature in the cavern was much cooler than the air outside. “It is tradition for the future mates to spend two nights together, away from the village and the people.”

Neteyam furrowed his brows, glancing around.

“It is alright,” Ao’nung whispered, holding a hand up. “You family knows you will be with me. Here.”

The Omaticaya relaxed, letting out a soft sigh. “And what is it that we are meant to do? Hide in the dark?”

Ao’nung snorted out a laugh. “Get to know each other. But I believe we have already done that. You can tell me about the forest instead.”

Neteyam blinked in surprise. “You want to know about the forest?”

“Of course,” Ao’nung replied hurriedly, wrapping himself in his own blanket. A glowbug landed on his shoulder, but he did not seem to notice. “I know I often made fun of you for it, but I promise you, I would never do that again. One day, when we may be mated, I will show you, so you can fully trust me.”

Neteyam reached for a pillow, tugging it under his blanket and hugging it close, sitting with his legs crossed. “The forests are mighty. They are nothing like this one. We must fly to travel. There are great, floating mountains, connected by vines.”

“That sounds dangerous.”

“It is,” Neteyam chuckled. “But it’s all I’ve ever known, growing up.”

Ao’nung brought a basket of fruit over, setting it down between us. Neteyam took an offered, golden globe, biting into it.

“It would rain often,” Neteyam continued fondly. “My siblings and I would often go exploring while mother and father were busy with duties. We always had to return before eclipse.”

Ao’nung watched him talk, smiling. He felt warm and fuzzy inside and suddenly the hours were rushing by too fast; they sung their favourite songs to each other, marvelling at how different the music of their people was. Ao’nung taught the most intimate of signs to Neteyam, surprised to see that the young Omaticaya had not learnt them from the warriors or even Tsireya, who he was sure already taught Lo’ak every last bit of their love languages.

“I—” Ao’nung hummed out eventually into the silence. He was lying on his back with Neteyam cuddled up to his chest, drawing patterns into the teal skin of his stomach.

Neteyam tilted his head to look up at him. “Yes?”

“It is so strange that after all the fights we had, you still can forgive me.”

“I was the one to throw the first punches,” Neteyam hummed. “You know this, too.”

“But I treated you so horribly—”

Neteyam bit the inside of his cheeks, flushing deep indigo from the attention, the raw honestly of it sending fluttering wasps to his stomach. “Maybe I like a little bit of rough handling.”

Ao’nung blinked in surprise.